Tracking Map withut Login

Haegar_the_Horrible

Hello,

our son will get a gecoin as present for his first day at school.

His coin schall go around the world and send him interesting facts/pictures of his travel.

Due to his age, he does not have an own geocaching account and we will start is with the account we use for geocaching today.

Now, it would be great to show my information about his coin, without searching in geocaching.com.

Is there an actual way to create a map with the trackt route of the coin on his normal webpage?

The map in geocaching.com needs a login.

Or do you have an idea, how we could show him the progress of his coin withup manuallyy updating a website?

Many thanks

HtH

Edited by Haegar_the_Horrible

I believe the map function is a routine that calls up all the locations the coin has been dropped to plot them. You have open the individual coin's page for the map function to call up that coin's database of waypoints. You could write a routine to open the coin's page and call up the map function to display on another site but you'd have to be pretty handy with computer code..... and if you were you wouldn't be here asking about it. :(

No, there is no search function to call up a coin's drop points except the map feature.

I believe the map function is a routine that calls up all the locations the coin has been dropped to plot them. You have open the individual coin's page for the map function to call up that coin's database of waypoints. You could write a routine to open the coin's page and call up the map function to display on another site but you'd have to be pretty handy with computer code..... and if you were you wouldn't be here asking about it. :(

No, there is no search function to call up a coin's drop points except the map feature.

My issue is the needed login to view the map. If this would not exist, the implementation on another website would not be a big deal. But I will not implement my login data into a script!

HtH

I'm not able to find a 100% solution for you.

But what are you trying to do? Do you want a way for your son to see the coin movement on a map? Or do you want a way for everyone else (non geocachers) to see the coin movement?

For your son, I'm sure the map is interesting - but he will not see the log texts, uploaded photos, have access to the cache pages showing more details about the location of the coin, etc. I'm sure it would be even more fun to see the whole coin page.

You wrote that your son, due to his age, does not have a geocaching account of his own. But even if he does not log geocaches with his own nick and his own log text, you could create a free account for him - or even an account for this coin. I know that many people create accounts for dogs, other pets, puppets, mystery caches, etc. Many of these accounts never log a cache. I have not seen anything indicating that this is forbidden.

Your creating an account now would not prevent your son from creating another account in a few years, if he decides that he wants one. Or he could just change the name of the account you make, should he want another nick. (I know I did, just don't remember how!)

Travel Bug Map

Sorry. You must first log in before you can view the Travel Bug maps.

HtH

RATS... foiled again. I guess you don't need to be logged in to view a coin page and call up the map but you do if you want to call the map directly. Those Lackeys have built a clever mouse trap!