Cache troubles

Buggies

First off, I've found two caches so far using my iPhone. I'm officially an addict! Looking forward to getting a GPS to do some serious geocaching.

Anyway, my trouble (or general question really) is about my second cache I found. It was in very poor shape. In the cache listing, it has the "needs maintenance" icon. But this poor cache was in really really bad shape. It's inventory showed that there was a travel bug included, which there wasn't. And the darn thing was filled with moisture. To the point where there was visible water in the bottom of the container. The log sheets (all sticky notes, and a few receipts with log info on the back) were all soaking wet, even though they were in a sealed plastic bag.

My question is, what do I do about it? I only live about three blocks away from it. It bugs me that it is in the shape that it is in. I want to fix it up, so more people aren't disappointed. What's the proper protocol for fixing it? Do I just fix it? Do I contact the owner? And then fix it?

Fixing the cache is the first thing. But what about the travel bug? How do I tell others that it isn't where it is listed as being? Should I go to the

travel bug's page and make a log note that it is MIA?

The cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f48fc9cd-c1fe-418c-afb0-6318385a4e85

The travel bug:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=714a0d7b-9f14-448a-8eb2-93c9a9aaedeb

Well, file a NM log. Mentioning it in your Found It log is fine, but you really wanna log a NM.

Except for late, it appears the CO has done the maintenance, so..... just log it as such, for now.

As far as the trackable goes... that is not a maintenance issue. This happens on a regular basis and there is little that can be done about it. Many CO's feel that it is not their responsibility to 'guarantee' that a trackable is/is not there. They do have the ability to mark it missing, but most choose not to (after all, it is not their trackable).

The CO is not responsible for who may/may not have improperly logged the trackable, or not logged it at all.

Mentioning that it is missing (from that cache) on that TB page is the thing to do.

As far as you taking care of the trash-cache.... please don't. If you do, you are only going to enable a lazy CO. "Community maintained" caches are not the route to go. By doing that, nobody ever assumes proper responsibility as they are unable to remove NM flags, correct coordinates, etc. etc.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Me, I'd post an NM. Then I'd put a Watch on the cache. In one month if the CO does not respond I'd post an NA (Needs Archive).

I checked the status of the CO. They haven't been on the site since 2010, so it's likely that the cache is abandoned.

Another thing I would do if the cache is close enough - when the Reviewer archives the cache go back and collect the mess and dispose of the geo-junk.

Edited by L0ne R

First off, I've found two caches so far using my iPhone. I'm officially an addict! Looking forward to getting a GPS to do some serious geocaching.

Anyway, my trouble (or general question really) is about my second cache I found. It was in very poor shape. In the cache listing, it has the "needs maintenance" icon. But this poor cache was in really really bad shape. It's inventory showed that there was a travel bug included, which there wasn't. And the darn thing was filled with moisture. To the point where there was visible water in the bottom of the container. The log sheets (all sticky notes, and a few receipts with log info on the back) were all soaking wet, even though they were in a sealed plastic bag.

My question is, what do I do about it? I only live about three blocks away from it. It bugs me that it is in the shape that it is in. I want to fix it up, so more people aren't disappointed. What's the proper protocol for fixing it? Do I just fix it? Do I contact the owner? And then fix it?

Fixing the cache is the first thing. But what about the travel bug? How do I tell others that it isn't where it is listed as being? Should I go to the

travel bug's page and make a log note that it is MIA?

The cache:

http://www.geocachin...b0-6318385a4e85

The travel bug:

http://www.geocachin...b2-93c9a9aaedeb

Me, I'd post an NM. Then I'd put a Watch on the cache. In one month if the CO does not respond I'd post an NA (Needs Archive).

I checked the status of the CO. They haven't been on the site since 2010, so it's likely that the cache is abandoned.

Another thing I would do if the cache is close enough - when the Reviewer archives the cache go back and collect the mess and dispose of the geo-junk.

This. And welcome :grin:

I wouldn't fix the cache. Just post a "Needs Maintenance" log for it.

Looks like the owner hasn't logged in for some time now, so attempting to contact him would probably be a waste of time.

But what about the travel bug? How do I tell others that it isn't where it is listed as being? Should I go to the travel bug's page and make a log note that it is MIA?

Post a note on the travel bug's page, advising the owner that it is no longer in the cache. It's been gone for quite some time, so the owner should be marking it as "missing", to remove it from the cache's inventory.

B,

Edited by Pup Patrol

Thanks for the replies. Is it OK to post a few log messages on one cache? I already posted a "fount it" log for that cache. I'm not sure if it is acceptable to post multiple log messages for one cache. In reality, I would need to post three log messages: a found it, needs maintenance, (and unfortunately) a needs archived. Because this cache is pretty much ruined due to the water inside.

It's OK to log multiple logs for this cache....in this case, you did find it, so you are entitled to log a "Found It" and have it shown among your finds. Then you would log a seperate "Needs Maintenance" log to alert the owner of the cache's condition. This would be the proper course of action in most cases

While this should do the trick with an attentive responsible owner, most likely this owner has dropped out of the game and will not be repairing his cache. You could log the NM then wait a few weeks to see if the owner responds....if he does not, then log the "Needs Archived".

In this case, since the owner hasn't been active in two years, I think it would be safe to assume he won't be repairing the cache and go straight to the "NA" log.

Thanks for the replies. Is it OK to post a few log messages on one cache? I already posted a "fount it" log for that cache. I'm not sure if it is acceptable to post multiple log messages for one cache. In reality, I would need to post three log messages: a found it, needs maintenance, (and unfortunately) a needs archived. Because this cache is pretty much ruined due to the water inside.

That's fine.

If you truly enjoy being at the cache spot (that's kind of the reason for a cache placement, finding fun places you didn't know about), you may hang the cache log on a tree branch and let it dry, and dry the Swag and dump out the standing water. Don't seal a wet log in its ziplock bag, that definitely will keep it soaked.

This cache is prime for archival. The CO hasn't been seen for two years, there are three NMs for the same issues going back over a year, and it's getting worse. If the cacher appeared to be active, and if there were a lot of great reasons to keep that cache going, I'd have recommended asking the Cache Owner first.