Timer duration

jonny65

Can someone confirm, that the duration of timers (both interval and countdown) runs different depending on the device ?

I often have heard, that a timer on an iPhone runs longer (twice ?) than on a garmin. For example you will measure the playing time, both players finish the cartridge at the same time, the garmin player has needed 80 minutes, the iPhone player 40 :blink:

Can someone confirm, that the duration of timers (both interval and countdown) runs different depending on the device ?

I often have heard, that a timer on an iPhone runs longer (twice ?) than on a garmin. For example you will measure the playing time, both players finish the cartridge at the same time, the garmin player has needed 80 minutes, the iPhone player 40 :blink:

It does.

One of my Rallying Wherigo has a counter to control speed in a zone where are houses and I want people do drive there at less than 20km/h.

During a test I was running my Oregon 450 and my sister her iPhone 4S.

I drove at exactly 20km/h.

The Oregon went fine without penalty, but the iPhone triggered the penalty for being too fast...

This could be because the iPhone took more time to start the counter than the Oregon, that I also noticed (that the iPhone takes a few seconds more to show things and to detect zones...)

Thanks, thats what I have thought and I find it nerdy :blink:

On entering a zone a timer starts and every 30 seconds if the player is still inside the zone, he will be bitten by zombies :lol: and looses energy at the same time. Now the iPhone player is in advantage ?

Please have a look to the urwigo file attached, compile for handy or garmin and check if the telefon rings every 4 seconds.

Now, whats the solution for these problem ?

Check Environment and if not "Vendor 1 ARM9" then halve the timer duration ?

Or does this only take affect on iPhone and not Samsung or other ?

Telefon.zip

Edited by jonny65

I had it tested.

On Oregon and Windows Mobile it worked perfectly, playing each 4 seconds until we stop it.

On iPhone it played only once and never again...

Thanks for testing

:blink:

Only once ? Ohoh...

The same too, if the event is in "on elapse" instead of "on start" ?

Thats really a problem if the timer works different depending on the device.

So, I checked and everything was ok and it was supposed to work.

Then i try something else: I put the event "on start" and "on elapse", again, it plays once and never again...

I assume iPhones only run the event "on start"...

I'm curious now about a cartridge I have and uses an "elapse timer" to count seconds...It's probably not working...

I'm curious now about a cartridge I have and uses an "elapse timer" to count seconds...It's probably not working...

Elapse with typ countdown or intervall ?

Ok Mighty Reek, here comes the next round with 3 phones <_<

Telefon 1 uses Intervall and onStart

Telefon 2 uses Intervall and onElapse

Telefon 3 uses Countdown and onElapse (1 second loop with a counter an restarting timer until stop is clicked)

Would you be so kind to have a look to that ?

The simulator and the Garmin Oregon works with ALL 3 (!) variations.

Zip including Urwigo Source and GWC compiled for all devices.

Edit : If one of the variation works with iPhone, how many seconds elapse between 2 rings ?

3Telefons.zip

Edited by jonny65

Mine uses intervall (each 10 seconds adds 1 to a variable)

Telefon 3 uses Countdown and onElapse (1 second loop with a counter an restarting timer until stop is clicked)

I used the .GWC directly and every single one only plays once(immediatly after pressing the button) and them stops... forever.

I ellect iOS as the worst Wherigo Playing system today...

Not sure what this thread is on, timer differences or timer events (on iPhones).

I have a cartridge running on iPhone (4s) now that uses 1 countdown timer and 2 interval timers. All work fine. The countdown timer fires after 3 seconds and the code in the onElapse works

The 2 interval timers fire at 30 seconds and 60 seconds. They fire continuously.

I havn't tried onStart or onEnd on the iPhone yet so can only comment on the onElapse, but it does work fine.

I also am starting and stopping all the timers on the iPhone fine.. when I start them again (I pause them during viewing of help screens) the interval timers start back up and continuously run.

Would you be so kind to have a look to that ?

The simulator and the Garmin Oregon works with ALL 3 (!) variations.

Zip including Urwigo Source and GWC compiled for all devices.

Edit : If one of the variation works with iPhone, how many seconds elapse between 2 rings ?

I have meant timer events...as mighty creek wrote no of the timer types works, neither interval nor countdown. In every case the phone rings 1 times. On oregon and simulator all 3 are working. I don't understand this. This would mean, that in every Wherigo in the world which is played on iphone, the timer function doesn't work or rather one times.

I havn't looked at any sample code you guys are doing with the ring things.. but again have a Wherigo (not yet released) working right now on iphone 4s that uses 2 intervals and 1 countdown timer, all working fine. Definatly not a 'fire once and stop' type of thing.

When I was writing it, I had one did stop working.. but it was due to a LUA code bug I had that effectivly shut it down. I fixed the bug (that was not related to the timer itself) and it started working fine.

I also got the timers to restart on a reload of the cartridge using LUA variables in an if-block.. (I mention that only to show that in all scenarios timers are working for me.. I start them, stop them, restart them, and use both types of them).

Really not sure what is going on in your examples though.

I have meant timer events...as mighty creek wrote no of the timer types works, neither interval nor countdown. In every case the phone rings 1 times. On oregon and simulator all 3 are working. I don't understand this. This would mean, that in every Wherigo in the world which is played on iphone, the timer function doesn't work or rather one times.