Is this allowed?

TheStevensonCrue

I sent a message to one of the reviewers in my area about this, but maybe it's better asked here.

I'm putting together a cache where the coords. are simply a starting point, not the actual location. I know that's ok, but what I want to do next I'm unsure about.

I own my own domain, and with that I can setup an auto response system for texts messages sent. So my idea is cachers go to the starting coords and answer the first question on the listing by sending a text. A reply text is sent back letting them know if they are right or wrong. If they are right they are also given a description of what to look for next, and to reply back what they see at the next location. I'd continue with this a few times, effectively getting them to explore an area like a park, or old part of town, etc. So sort of like a challenge but with the coords. to the cache sent via text at the last POI.

I know some people would be leery of being charged (outside of their normal texting fee) or think that I might be subscribing them to some service or collecting cell numbers. I'm not of course doing that, but for the concerned I would also provide a link to a website where they could use a texting simulator instead of using their phones. So they could send their answers and receive responses all anonymously if they felt the need.

I don't have all the details on the hunt worked out yet, but this was the part I was hoping would be allowed.

Thanks,

Rich

I'm no reviewer, but it sounds OK to me. Just make sure to be clear about it up front in the description. I don't text, so I'd be very annoyed to get to the first stop and only find out then that texting would be required.

Also, consider the end-of-life for the cache. For example, think about how you'll remember about this cache when, a couple years from now, you decide to change or abandon your domain. That's not an argument against the idea, just something to keep in mind so that you do things now to make any of the cache's later life changes go smoother.

And talk to your reviewer about it. Oh, yeah, you're already doing that!

my idea is cachers go to the starting coords and answer the first question on the listing by sending a text. A reply text is sent back letting them know if they are right or wrong.

Will there be an alternate way to find the coords within the cache description? Just in case there's a problem with the text thing. I'm not 110% sure my phone can "text", so I'd need to find a nearby hotspot to use the web texting, for each stage.

Can you offer a way to test phone and web "texting" so that cachers can give it a test before they arrive?

I'd expect that your cache would be even less active than a typical Puzzle cache. But that's not always a bad thing, it's just a consideration.

Edited by kunarion

I think this sounds like a lot of fun. I would run out and start searching. And depending where it is....I would think a lot of the younger generation would enjoy it too. They are so addicted to texting anyway...you are just giving them another reason to do it! haha

I think it is a great idea if you can pull it off. :smile:

I'm no reviewer, but it sounds OK to me. Just make sure to be clear about it up front in the description. I don't text, so I'd be very annoyed to get to the first stop and only find out then that texting would be required.

Also, consider the end-of-life for the cache. For example, think about how you'll remember about this cache when, a couple years from now, you decide to change or abandon your domain. That's not an argument against the idea, just something to keep in mind so that you do things now to make any of the cache's later life changes go smoother.

And talk to your reviewer about it. Oh, yeah, you're already doing that!

I plan on letting them know they have to text before heading out. Good point about end of life, but I already own a handful of domains that I've had for years so that wouldn't be an issue.

my idea is cachers go to the starting coords and answer the first question on the listing by sending a text. A reply text is sent back letting them know if they are right or wrong.

Will there be an alternate way to find the coords within the cache description? Just in case there's a problem with the text thing. I'm not 110% sure my phone can "text", so I'd need to find a nearby hotspot to use the web texting, for each stage.

Can you offer a way to test phone and web "texting" so that cachers can give it a test before they arrive?

I'd expect that your cache would be even less active than a typical Puzzle cache. But that's not always a bad thing, it's just a consideration.

They'd be able to test the texting before heading out. I'm pretty sure every cell phone can text nowadays. Even the very basic phones should be able to.

I think this sounds like a lot of fun. I would run out and start searching. And depending where it is....I would think a lot of the younger generation would enjoy it too. They are so addicted to texting anyway...you are just giving them another reason to do it! haha

I think it is a great idea if you can pull it off. :smile:

Yea I thought it would be fun for people to do. Sure not everyone, but I think a lot would get a kick out of it.