Installed Geocache Database

pracom

I was experimenting with using the Magellan Communicator interface to download geocaches from this website to my eXplorist 610. After successfully downloading a numbers of caches, I discovered that all of the pre-installed caches on the device were deleting (I think that there were originally 1000 caches). I don't believe that I did anything to delete these other than import the new ones. Unfortunately, I had not archived these anywhere. Does anyone know how I might go about restoring these on the device?

I was experimenting with using the Magellan Communicator interface to download geocaches from this website to my eXplorist 610. After successfully downloading a numbers of caches, I discovered that all of the pre-installed caches on the device were deleting (I think that there were originally 1000 caches). I don't believe that I did anything to delete these other than import the new ones. Unfortunately, I had not archived these anywhere. Does anyone know how I might go about restoring these on the device?

Have you asked the manufacturer of your device if they can provide you with a fresh copy of those caches?

For anyone else: I've seen this happen with MP3 players and ereaders too. Make sure you backup anything before downloading new info and read the manual so you can avoid such problems.

Have you asked the manufacturer of your device if they can provide you with a fresh copy of those caches?

For anyone else: I've seen this happen with MP3 players and ereaders too. Make sure you backup anything before downloading new info and read the manual so you can avoid such problems.

The original 1000 Geocaches that where loaded on the unit are just a sampling across the nation; however, they're not meant to be kept on the unit and there is really no reason to keep them on the GPS because they will just get in your way when you start using the unit. Also, the Magellan Communicator is a great tool for loading a few caches on your GPS in a hurry; however, it is not recommended to be used for more than that. The best thing for you to do is to upgrade to a Premium Membership account. If you didn't get a card with a free month of Premium Members please email me at Zukicacher@gmail.com and I'll send a Magellan code and link to get your free month. Once you have a Premium Membership you can then create Pocket Queries that can contain as many as 1,000 caches and you specify the location, which will allow you to load large numbers of caches to your GPS in a hurry. Since your 610 will hold 10,000 caches you load it with enough caches for very large part of area where you live or for a long trip. Also, if you have a PC and not a Macintosh I would recommend taking a look at the Vantage Point software which you can download from Magellen's website: http://www.magellangps.com/VantagePoint this software will allow you to easily download the pocket queries and then copy them to your GPS. If you would like a video tutorial to help you with this check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ZsZhlY_MU

I hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider

Edited by Socal ZukiCachers

I agree with Socal Zuki ^

Those preloaded caches are of little to no value anyway, they are just there to really show you an example of how it works. It is stale, outdated data one second after it was created. Load your own caches, fresh new data, ones you actually will seek.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I contacted Magellan and they do have the original database available by FTP through their website. I was able to download it to VantagePoint and was interested in just seeing the variety of caches and locations around the country. I also transfered it to the 610 and could play around with the various geocaching features. Now that I have had the opportunity to look at them (something which I didn't do before I lost the database), I can see that most of it is dated and certainly not at locations that I am likely to visit.

I will give the Pocket Queries a try in the near future.