Tracking TB Mileage from Home to Caches and Back

timbee&suebee

Not sure if this should be in the "Trackables" Forum of the "Caching" forum but thought we would try here first.

We just bought a vehicle TB sticker and plan on using it to track mileage between home and caches that we visit. Yesterday to get it started we "visited" a cache we just placed very near our home as the starting point. Tonight we attended an event cache and logged a "visit" to that cache to log the mileage. I realize that if we want to keep track of our total miles, we need to then "visit" our close-to-home cache again and then each time we return home from caching for the day. My concern is that if we do that every time we go out caching (which is at least 2 or 3 times per week), the logging section of this listing will get overwhelmed with all our "notes" recording our dropping of the TB for mileage and cachers who are out to find this cache and want to look through past logs will have to scroll through all of that. We know a local cacher who does it that way and he has 155 "write notes" in his close-to-home cache listing just for that purpose. So my question is, is there a way to make a cache at our home coordinates that is not available for the public to see or visit but that we can use solely for the purpose of recording mileage?

You can, but let me tell you a few things first.

When you post a note on a cache to drop the bug you can delete the cache note and it won't affect the bug tracking.

Tracking mileage can be very time consuming but in reality the mileage is not that accurate, it just shows the crow path from cache a to cache b. It doesn't show anything about your 10 mile around about drive and the two mile hike you took to get there. Save yourself the effort and just log from cache to cache.

If you are bound and determined, submit a new cache but don't click the submit to reviewer option. You can log your bug in and out from there.