Geocaching while traveling in Spain

cmerun

Does anyone have tips for geocaching while visiting another country? I was OK in Scotland last summer because there was no language barrier. The description and logs posted for most of the caches hidden in Spain are written in Spanish. I'll be bringing an iPad with me and am staying at places with WiFi. And, I'm trying to load my GPS from home with caches close to my hotels. Any other suggestions for a successful caching experience?

Does anyone have tips for geocaching while visiting another country? I was OK in Scotland last summer because there was no language barrier. The description and logs posted for most of the caches hidden in Spain are written in Spanish. I'll be bringing an iPad with me and am staying at places with WiFi. And, I'm trying to load my GPS from home with caches close to my hotels. Any other suggestions for a successful caching experience?

If you don't know Spanish, Google Translate should be enough to figure out the basics and most hints. Sometimes you get a hint which is a play on words and it's not clear, then ask a local! Multis and puzzles are harder - I tend to avoid these if they are in another language unless they are obvious. If your GPS can download maps consider downloading a Spanish map eg. map

Last September, while visiting friends, we did a few caches around Mojacar and a couple more on the way to/in Granada. I did quite a bit of homework beforehand, translating descriptions and hints on Trads that we might get to do and also worked out a couple of the simpler puzzle caches. I think the preparation is part of the fun.

MrsB :)

If you don't know Spanish, Google Translate should be enough to figure out the basics and most hints. Sometimes you get a hint which is a play on words and it's not clear, then ask a local! Multis and puzzles are harder - I tend to avoid these if they are in another language unless they are obvious. If your GPS can download maps consider downloading a Spanish map eg. map

Depending on where you're going in Spain you might also have to translate cache listings from Catalan to English, though when I did some caching in Barcelona, most of the cache listings already had English translations.

Asking a cache owner for clarification is a good suggestion. It might even lead to an opportunity to meet a cacher from another country. A month ago or so when I had an overnight layover in Zurich I discovered that there was a flash mob that was going to occur while I was there. The cache page was all in German and all the plan attending logs were in German. I posted a plan attending log (in English) and expressed a concern that since I didn't know any German I wouldn't be able to talk with anyone. I got several responses from other cachers that spoke English the told me not to worry as most people did speak some English. One offered to meet me prior to the event for a drink, then showed me around a bit and accompanied me to another event later in the evening. It was a wonderful geocaching experience.

The other general bit of advice is, as someone else suggested, to do plenty of planning ahead. Don't try to find a lot of caches, but instead pick out a few in the areas you'll be traveling and focus on those. You're going to be in Spain. Enjoy the country and don't make it all about geocaching.

Thanks for the tips. I will be in and around Sevilla with side trips planned to Granada and Cadiz. Day trip to Gibraltar. Then, the last five days in Madrid. Not able to get to Barcelona this trip. I've got some TB's to leave so looking for caches big enough to accommodate. I appreciate the suggestion to get on the Spain forum and to contact other cachers.