Etrex20 and Garmin marine charts

This may belong in off topic but... I am looking at Garmin HUS039R marine charts for my eTrex20. Would be handy in a Kayak etc. Has anyone tried them? They come in a mini SD format and are compatible with Etrex 20 & 30. My concern is that the screen is so small it may be virtually useless. Anyone have thoughts?

Would be handy in a Kayak etc.

Some thoughts - Marine maps are generally the most useful for people who run larger ships, to prevent grounding, as good depth data and obstructions are noted. For kayaking, I think a marine map may even show less benefits than an ordinary terrain map. The terrain map shows unclear showlines (reeds), and how the terrain looks where are to hit shore and need to set up camp. The marine maps generally don't.

The eTrex 20 screen is small for marine maps indeed, but it is for terrain maps as well. Okay for seeing what's immediately ahead, completely useless for an overview.

I agree with the above post I always use a regular size land map while paddling in the ocean ,my Blue chart shows very crude /rough outlines of the coast,not sure how the newer marine charts are though and since I only need a foot of water ,depth is not an issue.I find for paddling marine charts are far to cluttered and I like the UTM grid on my paper map,get the exact position form my gps if I need it and then use the romer on my compass to find where I am on the larger paper map which is in a vinyl envelope straped to the deck of my kayak.Quick,easy,clean and clear on the map, I like MGR for finding my position.

I am very familiar with paper and electronic marine/nautical charts but that is the crux of my concern. The Etrex screen is so small as to make it useless as stated. When you toggle in for more detail you are only seeing a very small parking lot size of ocean. I also hoped it may be large enough to see depth contours to find fishing holes. I wish they would produce a trial copy so I could give it a test run.

The slight differance between my 76csx and my etrex 30 screen size makes all the differance when it comes to viewing maps and charts,just got the etrex mainly for hiking,but I have no intention of getting rid of my 76csx because it is so much better for kayak use.

The slight differance between my 76csx and my etrex 30 screen size makes all the differance when it comes to viewing maps and charts,just got the etrex mainly for hiking,but I have no intention of getting rid of my 76csx because it is so much better for kayak use.

76csx... 160*240 pixels = 38400

Etrex30... 176*220 pixels = 38720

If you think you see more on the 76 that ought to be because of a better map display implementation.

Thats it exactly ,larger screen and larger data fields,that little differance is big,also for kayaking I have one of those heavy duty zip seal plastic things that I put my 76 in to add extra floatation,its bright yellow for visability and it keeps the salt water off it to,while still allowing total use of the controls,I dont think my etrex with that little stick would work too well in it though,every unit has its pluses and minuses.Maybe you already know you can get special paddling zip lock chart pouches for charts/maps with D rings for tie down or stuff it under the deck straps,use your etrex to find your position if you need and go with that,much better for viewing,its very easy to keep track of your position just visually when traveling a coastline.

Thanks for the thoughts. It would be nice but I don't think it will serve the purpose with a screen that small. The cost of the marine charts is $ 150.00 so I'm not prepared to spend that much money on something that has less that a 50/50 chance of being useable. As I stated earlier it would be nice if Garmin put out a trial version.

Have you considered BirdsEye aerial imagery? It may give better coastal detail (in some ways) than other maps and charts.

The problem with Birdseye - I tried a trial on my 30 - is both that it's a raster map, so it doesn't resize well. Also, it renders really painfully slow, and thus it's nothing I'd want to use as a map. Needs a snappier CPU it seems. Some say on Oregon/Dakota it runs OK.