No Access to Spencer Island This Summer

GrievousAngel

Trails on Smith and Spencer Islands (north of Everett) and the road to Spencer Island are closed now and will be closed until late October. Info here.

The Langus Riverfront Trail and Ross Road/4th Avenue will be closed, meaning that all caches past the Everett Rowing shellhouse will be off-limits. The press release says nothing about water access to the terrain 5 boat caches, but access might be affected by planned dike repairs.

That's all the info I have now, but here are some pictures:

71e0429b-a8c7-4e7e-b243-cabe6e403a8e.jpg?rnd=0.0744704

Barricade next to shellhouse. "Local traffic" refers to people who work at the sewage treatment plant.

894107a6-6db0-4c74-a102-ddaabb7b621a.jpg?rnd=0.8102349

Yellow = Langus Riverfront Trail. Red = Ross Road.

9c8da6cf-3d49-47da-8f8e-dc434a4dfd23.jpg?rnd=0.06367034

Guess they mean it. This is before you even get to the parking area for Spencer Island.

Sorry, gentlemen--while it would be nice to have a weekend break from the closure, the information on the county site is wrong. The information I posted is correct, and the Everett PR officer has reminded the webmaster of the county site to update the incorrect information.

Langus Riverfront Trail and Ross Road/4th Street are closed until the work is completed, probably the end of October.

July 5: The SnoCo website has been corrected and now reads

"Langus trail is closed starting south of the Langus Waterfront Park and 4th Street for construction purposes. This closure shuts off all public access to Spencer Island from July to November, 2012."

Edited by GrievousAngel

some caches were just done on 8/11 by some cachers, so I thought, maybe I could go there today. The signs were quite clear to me right where the langus trail meets the gate that its closed to traffic and to folks on the trail.

None of the caches on Spencer Island disabled for trail closure. Are you sure that they weren't accessing the caches via the water?

well, not entirely true, Rambudo has disabled his Spencer Island Wherigo due to the trail closure. Its up to the COs to disable their caches, if they even know of the trails being closed.

As far as how the finders got to the caches....its possible they did it by boat. I just wanted to go to Spencer Island and I thought their finds might have meant the signs were not there or something. I wanted to know first hand. As a person driving or walking to Spencer Island, you are clearly told to keep out. By boat? That is a different matter what you pretend to know or do not know.

A week or so ago I saw that the barricades on 40th Street were gone, which makes Spencer Island accessible, but the Langus Riverfront Trail was still fenced off. This afternoon was wonderfully sunny, so I took a chance and headed back down there--the gates to the Langus Trail are open, and runners and dog-walkers were out in force.

Edited by GrievousAngel

There are signs saying that Langus Riverfront Trail will be closed again this summer starting July 8th through October 15th. It seems that Spencer Island will remain open. I found the posted signs to be very uninformative with the exception of the dates as the official wording was "Trail will be closed ahead".