Leveling Crew on US-2 in Wisconsin

Z15

I was travelling US Hwy 2 between Hurley and Ashland Wisconsin on June 6th and observed a level crew along the roadway. They had Survey crew signs out for miles, 3 men on ATV's with stobe lights and farther down the road I saw several white vehicles parked along a side road, big trailer, trucks. I was wondering if anyone saw that or knew who is was? Wis DOT, NGS,?? Looked like a well funded operation with all the new looking vehicles and equipment. I wondered the purpose as there is NGS level run all along that route done in 1985 if I recall and I spotted old orange posts and they did not have ribbon flagging them which is typical. The traffic was kind heavy at the time I was passing and no safe place to stop and ask so I keep on trucking. The way they had the signing laid out was similar to the way NGS did when they leveled up here in 1996, Survey crew sign about every mile for many miles.

Edited by Z15