Craigslist Magellan explorist gc

I found one on my local craigslist for $75 still with box. Used a few times and bought new in 2010. Is this worth it or should I save a few bucks and go with a new etrex 20? I currently use a Garmin eTrex Venture HC and still like it but I want to upgrade and go paperless.

I found one on my local craigslist for $75 still with box. Used a few times and bought new in 2010. Is this worth it or should I save a few bucks and go with a new etrex 20? I currently use a Garmin eTrex Venture HC and still like it but I want to upgrade and go paperless.

I have a GC.

I like it because while it lets you go paperless, it doesn't do everything for you. There's still a level of game-playing skill involved.

The lack of an electronic compass is a challenge that you have to learn how to deal with.

The fact that you can see a waypoint's parent cache from the waypoint's screen, but not the other way around is a pain, but you learn how to deal with it.

The fact that I sometimes get bounce in places that other people don't complain about leads me to believe that it's more prone to multi-path bounce, but that makes me improve my spidey-sense.

The funky way that the internal database keeps track of 'finds' is sometimes problematic, but I don't pay attention to the numbers on the GC; I do that online.

All in all, I'll keep it.

Now, please keep in mind that this is the only unit I've used. That may affect my credibility on this matter.

...Bill

TeamRabbitRun

I had a GC now I have an etrex 20. I would consider them pretty comparable.

The only real arguement for the etrex is it's ability to load maps.

They both have minor annoyances the other does not.

My current biggest beef with the etrex 20.. that freaking screen.. so easy to scratch! So easy.. so scratched..

Shaun

I have an explorist 310 for backup and map testing and the base map is pretty good though without topo lines. I think you would be happy with a gc at that price. Remember there is the hack for the gc detailed in this forum that enables adding maps. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=292070&st=0&p=4993939&hl=turn%20magellan%20into%20310&fromsearch=1entry4993939 There are some topo maps available fairly cheap at http://www.maps4me.net/index.php?language=en

Edited by kentwoodkrew