Can't upload map to Garmin Venture HC... HELP!

Hi

I gave a Garmin Venture HC as a gift and told the person that I would upload the map to the device...

Also have a Garmin Legend HCX to which I uploaded a map of Costa Rica (18Mb) to its SD card a .img file and POI folder that work perfectly. So the obvious was that I would upload the same map (since it fits in the 24 Mb internal memory of the HC)... however... for some %&/$%/$ reason I am unable to do so. I've tried everything... looked all over this forums to try to figure this out... but I haven't been able to.

If someone could help me I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!!

As long as the map is unlocked (not bound to a specific device), you should simply be able to copy it to the other device?

Copy the gmapsupp.img file from the \Garmin folder in the device that has a working map, to the same location in the venture HC which doesn't have a working map.

Wait for the copy to finish and wait a minute for safety. Pull the venture HC from the computer and start it up.

That should work; given the map is unlocked.

Would help if you explained what you've tried to do to upload it?

As long as the map is unlocked (not bound to a specific device), you should simply be able to copy it to the other device?

Copy the gmapsupp.img file from the \Garmin folder in the device that has a working map, to the same location in the venture HC which doesn't have a working map.

Wait for the copy to finish and wait a minute for safety. Pull the venture HC from the computer and start it up.

That should work; given the map is unlocked.

I've tried the following:

1) I've tried adding the maps to MapSource. For some reason the program doesn't recognize it. I've tried sending it to the device using it as well... didn't work.

2) Tried to find the GPS as an external drive, both in Mac and PC, so I could just drop the map in ... never got to see it

3) Tried updating all the garmin apps, both for PC and Mac, and tried everything again... didn't work

Just to clarify the GPS IS recognized by the computer because I can "retrieve info" (nothing in it yet) from it, but for some reason I can "send" anything to it. I can even get the unit's ID with MapSource.

What I don't get is why I can't "see" the device so I can drop the files in it. Or upload it through mapsource.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by dieguecr

You need to use Garmin 'MapSource' to select the tiles you wish to upload, it will then format them and upload them to your device.

To save memory deselect 'Include route calculation data' as this device cannot do auto-routing.

I suggest that you don't use Garmin 'Basecamp' as you cannot deselect this 'feature' and by default you can't get as many map tiles loaded.

The Hcx uses a 'compiled' map .img file that is downloaded from various free map sites. It is then moved onto the Hcx memory chip when seen as an external usb drive

The Hc works differently. You need to download a map file which will then un-zip into individual map tiles. The free map sites should make it clear which ones files do which.

When your file is un-zipped you will then have a folder with a large number of.img files and a few other types.

They then need to be seen by MapSource by using MapSetToolKit (free download).

When you have launched MapsetToolKit select the install button and browse to the required files.

Restart Mapsource and the new map should then be seen and selectable.

Just one final point the Hc does not have a memory that is seen as an external drive by a PC.

In fact you can't see anything that is in its memory other than by downloading into MapSource (maps/waypoints/routes/tracks or by directly accessing its features on the unit itself.

By the way when you upload a new compiled map to the Hc it will overwrite what you previously had so you need to select carefully to get the tiles you need and also to keep within the 24Mb limit (thus my point about de-selcting the routing data).

I have used the Hc for a few years now and have done this operation many times.

Apologies as these posts all seem to be in reverse order to solving/explaining the problem.

You need to use Garmin 'MapSource' to select the tiles you wish to upload, it will then format them and upload them to your device.

To save memory deselect 'Include route calculation data' as this device cannot do auto-routing.

I suggest that you don't use Garmin 'Basecamp' as you cannot deselect this 'feature' and by default you can't get as many map tiles loaded.

The Hcx uses a 'compiled' map .img file that is downloaded from various free map sites. It is then moved onto the Hcx memory chip when seen as an external usb drive

The Hc works differently. You need to download a map file which will then un-zip into individual map tiles. The free map sites should make it clear which ones files do which.

When your file is un-zipped you will then have a folder with a large number of.img files and a few other types.

They then need to be seen by MapSource by using MapSetToolKit (free download).

When you have launched MapsetToolKit select the install button and browse to the required files.

Restart Mapsource and the new map should then be seen and selectable.

Thanks for the help londontavern...

I downloaded several versions of the map (all .img files) and downloaded MapSetToolKit as well. For some reason when I browse for the files (using MapSetToolKit) I can't see any because the system only "sees" .reg files.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for the help!

Edited by dieguecr

MapSetToolKit is a complicated way to go for a noob. You are much better off if you can download a mapset that comes with a MapSource/BaseCamp "installer". That's an EXE file that unpacks the IMG files and makes the required registry settings to your PC. You've got a PC? If you have a Mac you need a Mac Installer. It won't be an EXE file, but it will do whatever is necessary to get the files on a Mac.

The following is FYI. If you screw it up, you could break BaseCamp/MapSource, but maybe it will give you an idea what NOT to do.

If you downloaded your map from one of the OpenStreetMap sites like garmin.openstreetmap.nl you won't be able to do much with MapSetToolKit unless you have a complete set of TDB and OverviewMap.IMG files to go with your IMG files. If you have those you can "Install" a mapset in MS or BC. If your IMG files were compiled with cgpsmapper, and you have a copy of cgpsmapper on your PC you can check the "Install In MapSource" box and "Start".

Edited by seldom_sn

MapSetToolKit is a complicated way to go for a noob. You are much better off if you can download a mapset that comes with a MapSource/BaseCamp "installer". That's an EXE file that unpacks the IMG files and makes the required registry settings to your PC. You've got a PC? If you have a Mac you need a Mac Installer. It won't be an EXE file, but it will do whatever is necessary to get the files on a Mac.

The following is FYI. If you screw it up, you could break BaseCamp/MapSource, but maybe it will give you an idea what NOT to do.

If you downloaded your map from one of the OpenStreetMap sites like garmin.openstreetmap.nl you won't be able to do much with MapSetToolKit unless you have a complete set of TDB and OverviewMap.IMG files to go with your IMG files. If you have those you can "Install" a mapset in MS or BC. If your IMG files were compiled with cgpsmapper, and you have a copy of cgpsmapper on your PC you can check the "Install In MapSource" box and "Start".

Thanks for the heads up!

I downloaded some roadmaps for Costa Rica from http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/ I've tried it on the mac and using "virtual pc" but still nothing.

I'll see what else I haven't done. Thanks for the help!

Another suggestion, perhaps simpler. (I have not done this in a while).

From http://cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm get the Windows version (free) of Sendmap20.exe

Perhaps after you read this and before you jump in, look at this page for guidance:

http://www.ptygps.com/Support/Wiki/tabid/791/topic/Sendmap20/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Copy the img file from the HCx into your computer in a spot where you can easily access it (Desktop is fine).

Attach the HC to the computer and verify that Mapsource sees it. Note the port settings that Mapsource finds. Shut Mapsource down.

Note that the Sendmap20.exe file is an executable file; no fancy installers, no registry settings etc. You find the file name and double click on it and a window opens up. Now follow this order:

1. Under Region Name: type a name that makes sense to you - perhaps: "Costa Rica" or "Central America"

2. Under Mapset: Something like "Costa Rica Roadmap" - I think this is the name you see in the GPS when you select map sets.

3. Click on Add Maps and direct it to the img file. A list or map tiles (perhaps as cryptic img names) should appear; perhaps just one.

If you have other img files you want to combined into this work, then do that now. Give each one a different mapset names so you can turn them on or off in the GPSr. Note that size of the maps: if that is more than the HC can hold (look it up in its specs at the Garmin site), then delete items (with the Remove button) until the total map size fits the GPSr.

4. Once done, configure the Device. Perhaps auto will work; if not then configure it manually using what you learned from Mapsource (above).

5. Click Connect; then click the button to erase the maps in the GPSr (this should be quick), then click to load ( with several magabytes this takes a long time through a serial port - I believe there will be status indication). Leave NT unchecked. The list of items will be combined into one img file and uploaded to the unit.

All this assumes an img file that is known to work in the GPSr.

I doubt that you can load the POI file; that feature came with the HCx generation of Garmin units. It might be possible to get POIs into img file as a mapset but I don't recall how to do that.

Another suggestion, perhaps simpler. (I have not done this in a while).

From http://cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm get the Windows version (free) of Sendmap20.exe

Perhaps after you read this and before you jump in, look at this page for guidance:

http://www.ptygps.com/Support/Wiki/tabid/791/topic/Sendmap20/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Copy the img file from the HCx into your computer in a spot where you can easily access it (Desktop is fine).

Attach the HC to the computer and verify that Mapsource sees it. Note the port settings that Mapsource finds. Shut Mapsource down.

Note that the Sendmap20.exe file is an executable file; no fancy installers, no registry settings etc. You find the file name and double click on it and a window opens up. Now follow this order:

1. Under Region Name: type a name that makes sense to you - perhaps: "Costa Rica" or "Central America"

2. Under Mapset: Something like "Costa Rica Roadmap" - I think this is the name you see in the GPS when you select map sets.

3. Click on Add Maps and direct it to the img file. A list or map tiles (perhaps as cryptic img names) should appear; perhaps just one.

If you have other img files you want to combined into this work, then do that now. Give each one a different mapset names so you can turn them on or off in the GPSr. Note that size of the maps: if that is more than the HC can hold (look it up in its specs at the Garmin site), then delete items (with the Remove button) until the total map size fits the GPSr.

4. Once done, configure the Device. Perhaps auto will work; if not then configure it manually using what you learned from Mapsource (above).

5. Click Connect; then click the button to erase the maps in the GPSr (this should be quick), then click to load ( with several magabytes this takes a long time through a serial port - I believe there will be status indication). Leave NT unchecked. The list of items will be combined into one img file and uploaded to the unit.

All this assumes an img file that is known to work in the GPSr.

I doubt that you can load the POI file; that feature came with the HCx generation of Garmin units. It might be possible to get POIs into img file as a mapset but I don't recall how to do that.

Thanks for the help... however I'm starting to feel I'm on the 5th stage of the way to hell.....

I did everything you said... step by step... everything worked... some maps uploaded (the original one I had didn't but it didn't matter), checked that they fitted the capacity... connected the device... everything ok so far until... i hit the erase or upload maps buttons.... then the program got stuck and became unresponsive... every single time I tried it....

Any ideas why???

Thanks again!

Sometimes Mapsource gets stuck just after the erase old mapset and it also freezes the unit(I don't know why ). The simple way out is close Mapsource and disconnect your unit from the PC. If needs be you may even have to temporary disconnect the units battery.

Restart Mapsource (if not still selected then reselect tiles to upload) then reconnect Hc and switch it on. When the satellite screen comes up I usually select 'Use with GPS Off' so that it is not doing anything in the background.

Then send the maps again.

Sometimes Mapsource gets stuck just after the erase old mapset and it also freezes the unit(I don't know why ). The simple way out is close Mapsource and disconnect your unit from the PC. If needs be you may even have to temporary disconnect the units battery.

Restart Mapsource (if not still selected then reselect tiles to upload) then reconnect Hc and switch it on. When the satellite screen comes up I usually select 'Use with GPS Off' so that it is not doing anything in the background.

Then send the maps again.

In this case I wasn't using mapsource. I was using sendmap20 and that happened....

I have not done this in a while, so I am working from old memories. One thing I recall is that if the data is traveling through a serial port, then that can take a very long time (hours). But I thought that Sendmap showed the progress indicator clicking along slowly as it was sending. Are you seeing that. If you are not seeing the black window that says "Sendmap20 Pro rev 6.7 by Stanislaw Kozicki - cgpsmapper@gmail.com" then it is hiding behind the main screen. Move it to the side to see if you can see both the white window and the black one.

Also, when you click "Connect" do you see right below that button the name of the GPS. If not then Sendmap is not seeing the GPS. If Auto does not get you there and you know that a serial port is involved then select that serial port. For example, I just now hooked up my old blue Legend using a Prolific USB to Serial connector on my MacBook running Parallels Virtual machine (so this is about as complicated as it can get). Step-by step what works for me: I attach the GPSr and turn it on. I tell the Virtual Machine to let Windows see the Prolific device. I start Mapsource under Windows and select Transfer, Receive which shows me that the GPSr is on com3. I shut down Mapsource and with Windwos Explorer double click on Sendmap20.exe. I move the Sendmap interface window to the side to expose the window that indicates what is going on behind the scenes. At Device I select com3 and click connect. Are you getting to where Sendmap is telling you that it sees the Venture HC? You may need to try slower speeds if it seems to choke after it get started sending. My guess is that 19200 should work but 9600 is a sure bet (but it will take even longer to load maps).

Edited by Hynr

Thanks for the heads up!

I downloaded some roadmaps for Costa Rica from http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/ I've tried it on the mac and using "virtual pc" but still nothing.

I'm a Venture owner and I would endorse the Free routable maps for Garmin brand GPS devices site seldom mentions.

Once you have found the map area you need, it will queue the job and you will eventually be emailed a link where you can download the file. If you have selected the executable it will automatically load it into Mapsource and from there you can select it and upload to your Venture.

Although I'm not quite sure whether you're on a PC or a Mac. Not sure whether the above works on the latter.

I have not done this in a while, so I am working from old memories. One thing I recall is that if the data is traveling through a serial port, then that can take a very long time (hours). But I thought that Sendmap showed the progress indicator clicking along slowly as it was sending. Are you seeing that. If you are not seeing the black window that says "Sendmap20 Pro rev 6.7 by Stanislaw Kozicki - cgpsmapper@gmail.com" then it is hiding behind the main screen. Move it to the side to see if you can see both the white window and the black one.

Also, when you click "Connect" do you see right below that button the name of the GPS. If not then Sendmap is not seeing the GPS. If Auto does not get you there and you know that a serial port is involved then select that serial port. For example, I just now hooked up my old blue Legend using a Prolific USB to Serial connector on my MacBook running Parallels Virtual machine (so this is about as complicated as it can get). Step-by step what works for me: I attach the GPSr and turn it on. I tell the Virtual Machine to let Windows see the Prolific device. I start Mapsource under Windows and select Transfer, Receive which shows me that the GPSr is on com3. I shut down Mapsource and with Windwos Explorer double click on Sendmap20.exe. I move the Sendmap interface window to the side to expose the window that indicates what is going on behind the scenes. At Device I select com3 and click connect. Are you getting to where Sendmap is telling you that it sees the Venture HC? You may need to try slower speeds if it seems to choke after it get started sending. My guess is that 19200 should work but 9600 is a sure bet (but it will take even longer to load maps).

Thanks again for the help. Indeed I saw and tried everything you said. However, at least in the version of mapsource I have on the transfer/receive area it doesn't indicate the port it is using to communicate with the device even though it clearly recognizes it.

When I moved to sendmap it identified it under "auto" but using that option I can't lower the speed of transfer. It also indicates that it is "trying usb" in the "black window". Everything is fine up to that. (BTW I also tried all the other ports to see if it would connect but it didn't). Finally when i clicked erase or send it got stuck on "trying usb"

Anyway fortunately the solution offered by Huntleigh did work so finally I have maps on the GPS!

Thanks again for all the help!!! Cheers from Costa Rica

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm a Venture owner and I would endorse the Free routable maps for Garmin brand GPS devices site seldom mentions.

Once you have found the map area you need, it will queue the job and you will eventually be emailed a link where you can download the file. If you have selected the executable it will automatically load it into Mapsource and from there you can select it and upload to your Venture.

Although I'm not quite sure whether you're on a PC or a Mac. Not sure whether the above works on the latter.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! It finally worked!! The solution worked perfectly. Great site!! Thanks again!!

Thanks for the heads up!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! It finally worked!! The solution worked perfectly. Great site!! Thanks again!!

You guys are going to think that I'm joking..... well... I finally was able to upload to maps to the GPS... and they work..... but are clearly misaligned... Any ideas or suggestions??? Thanks again!

Edited by dieguecr

You guys are going to think that I'm joking..... well... I finally was able to upload to maps to the GPS... and they work..... but are clearly misaligned... Any ideas or suggestions??? Thanks again!

Try setting lat/lon and datum to WGS84 if they aren't there already. If that doesn't work, describe the misalignment.

"Misaligned"???

You'll need to expand.

I tried it out today driving.... and all along the way the arrow representing me wasn't following the road... it was always "off"

Try setting lat/lon and datum to WGS84 if they aren't there already. If that doesn't work, describe the misalignment.

How do I do that? with which software? Thanks!

No software, it's a setting within Setup on your Etrex, something like:

Setup>Units>Map datum

Thanks. It is already in WGS84... should i try another?

Not unless you know that the map has been created with another datum. How far off the road are you? Could be the map was just badly drawn. I know that's true for OSM imports for parts of the USA. The road in front of my house is drawn maybe 50 feet further from my house than it should be. (Hate having that imaginary extra yard to mow. <_< )

Setup>Units>Map datum

Not unless you know that the map has been created with another datum. How far off the road are you? Could be the map was just badly drawn. I know that's true for OSM imports for parts of the USA. The road in front of my house is drawn maybe 50 feet further from my house than it should be. (Hate having that imaginary extra yard to mow. <_< )

About the same distance... its off <_<

Setup>Units>Map datum

I'd suspect the map might be bad too (remember it's "crowd-sourced" and there may not be many in the OSM crowd in Costa

Rica).

Did the original Garmin base map come with anything for Costa Rica? A major road intersection say? You could load your Venture with both maps, stand on the intersection and swap between maps.

You can change the maps by selecting Setup/Map; scroll across to the Info(!) icon; then scroll down to select/deselect the map(s).

Give it a go.

Well your making hard work of this but anyway. Yes there is NO auto-routing on this unit it is purely OFF road 'direct (as the crow flies) to final destination'. So unless you are traveling one of those 60 billion mile long straight roads in the Arizona desert then for sure your arrow is going to point every where but straight ahead. Try downloading your tracks to MapSource and see where your GPS thought it had been, I'm pretty sure it was the same place as yourself and your motor.

Well your making hard work of this but anyway. Yes there is NO auto-routing on this unit it is purely OFF road 'direct (as the crow flies) to final destination'. So unless you are traveling one of those 60 billion mile long straight roads in the Arizona desert then for sure your arrow is going to point every where but straight ahead. Try downloading your tracks to MapSource and see where your GPS thought it had been, I'm pretty sure it was the same place as yourself and your motor.

Thanks again for all the help! I think it is now "as good as it can get". Next time I think I'll invest a bit more money on the present he he

Cheers

FYI

I tried the maps on my own Legend HCx and the maps work fine so apparently the problem is with the Venture HC Gps. Either because of the lack of auto routing capacity or lack of sensitivity, it is that the pointer doesn't follow the road as it should.

Just wanted to let you guys know.

Cheers.