Found Travel Bug, but not listed in inventory

4fit?

While on vacation in Tybee Island, GA, my wife and I found our first travel bug. The travel bug is Kusel 1977 and I retrieved it from the "They Got Us" cache. Unfortunately, the TB is not listed in the inventory of that cache, so I can not mark it as retrieved. I currently have it marked as grabbed.

Since this is my first TB, I'm not exactly sure on what the best way to handle this situation is. Do I just move it along to a cache and don't worry about the retrieved part? Do I "dip" it back in that cache so that the miles are logged? Just curious how everyone else would handle this.

Thanks!

This sort of thing happens quite often with trackables.

There's no easy way to tell when that TB was put into the "They got us" cache: It may have been there for a couple of days or a couple of weeks... or only a couple of hours.

There are differing views about the best way to handle this situation. When I retrieve a trackable that's still showing as being "in the hands of another cacher" I usually just wait a few days, maybe up to a week, just in case it's someone on holiday who hasn't been able to catch up on all their logging yet. I'll put a Note log on the TB saying, "I've picked this one up, but will wait for previous cacher to do the drop-off."

If that drop-off doesn't happen, then I'll do a 'grab' to bring it into my inventory (as you have done) and then give it a 'visit' to the cache where I retrieved it, just to show that it was there.

All's well.

MrsB :)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The previous cacher has moved two trackables, retrieving but never "placed" them upon dropping them off. Strange in that (s)he was able to drop (place) their own trackable properly.

A 'visit' to the cache which you picked it up from would make the travel mileage as accurate as you can make it.

The Blorenges' reply is bang on, but just to stress one thing they said that many people miss: once you've grabbed it from wherever it was mistakenly listed, remember that you are the one that has to tell the system that the TB was in the cache you found it in, so be sure to have it visit that cache. It's a good idea to log finding the TB first before logging the cache precisely because you can detect this situation and have the TB visit the cache with your found log for the cache, but you can still have the TB visit the cache later by posting a note for the cache. (Of course, it's not the end of the world if the TB's never shown as visiting that cache, but since you know it was there, it's nice to tell the owner it was there by logging it there.)

Thanks a lot for the guidance everyone! I sent the previous TB finder a message, but (s)he only has 3 finds and hasn't been on for a couple weeks. So I will probably go ahead and let it "visit" the cache I got it from.

Thanks again!