Newbie Question

I see you can upload a photo when posting a log entry. Is it considered bad etiquette to post a photo if it shows the cache itself? Of the few cache logs I've looked at, nobody has attached an image to their log entry.

I'm just now wondering if the images are private, and just for your own personal use? The family found our first cache today and I'd like to keep a photo of each one we do.

Thanks!

My belief is that you should never post a picture of the actual cache. Could possibly ruin the hunt for other cachers that have yet to find it. I have found some out there that if I had seen a picture of it first, would not have made the hunt very fun! On that note, I have found a few caches that actually said to take a picture with it and post. So unless it is stated in the info, I would refrain from taking a picture of the actual cache. Now if you are doing this for your own personal records, then why not. Just don't post online with your "found" remarks. Just my two cents on the idea!

The Holmestead

Welcome to the game! There are a lot of people who upload pictures of a cache they found. It's just considered bad form to post something that would "spoil" the hunt for another cacher. I don't seem anything wrong with posting a picture of a typical kind of hide (ammo can, lock 'n lock) if it doesn't show the hiding spot and if you label the picture as a spoiler when you post it; however, I would discourage posting a pic of a really clever, unusual, creative hide - that really would be a spoiler! We took lots of pictures of all the caches we found at the beginning, too...we still do if they are particularly interesting! Happy Caching!

Unless it is a uniquely camoed container where a photo would give a way the hide, I see no problem posting a photo of a run of the mill container. As a cache owner I love seeing pics of the happy finders holding my cache.

Just don't post pics of the cache in its hiding place, or if it's something out of the ordinary like a fake sprinkler head, fake pine cone or something else that will give away the cache. Otherwise, if you've seen one ammo box or pill bottle you've seen them all. Move a bit away from the cache site, snap your pics and post away.

I have posted literally hundreds of photos of cache containers (see my gallery) and have yet to have a single cache owner object.

Many photos I have seen show a family around a cache looking at the container. One you cache enough, you'll be able to judge what is appropriate and what is not. Someone who went to lengths to make a clever creative hide may not want photos posted. But, there are clearly "everyday" type caches in standard containers and out there to bring you to interesting places. That is generally fine.

Also, take photos of the surrounding area and post them. Many times when I see a cache, especially one that may be remote, the photos help me decide to actually go there.

Finally, if you do post a photo and its too revealing, the CO may always send you a private message asking you to take it down. Don't ever be offended by that, its part of the game. One time, I wrote a log entry and left a little too much detail (wasn't thinking really). The CO contacted me and I changed it no problem. Its all part of it.