Online form

Tramper Ted

I have been trying to fill in the online form for listing a new cache, but every time I click on that part of the page I get the following:

http://www.geocaching.com/hide/cachemaintenance.aspx

I tried following that link, but it just brings me to the submission form, so I can't see what you're seeing. Not your fault, it must be a profile-specific page. From the URL, it seems pretty obvious to me that it has something to do with the "Needs maintenance" flag. Scanning through your hides, I see 4 active caches with the NM flag set, 3 of which have been that way for years. Perhaps that's why it's bringing you to that page? Can you describe what that page is telling you?

I have been trying to fill in the online form for listing a new cache, but every time I click on that part of the page I get the following:

It is probably the warning that is part of the the new cache creation process. It was created in the April 24, 2012 release. While there was a little discussion about the message, nothing was said about a need to clear the NM attributes on your existing caches before submitting a new cache. OTH, why wouldn't you want to? It serves as a good memory jogger.

Good grief NM logs. Well I think what has happened is that we may have carried out the maintenance and just 'Write Note' instead of 'Owner Maintenance'. Have gone through and corrected all these except for one which is current. I guess it might be a way of encouraging cache owners to maintain their caches instead of listing new ones???? Will go and try another 'New listing' to see if this has worked.

I tried following that link, but it just brings me to the submission form, so I can't see what you're seeing. Not your fault, it must be a profile-specific page. From the URL, it seems pretty obvious to me that it has something to do with the "Needs maintenance" flag. Scanning through your hides, I see 4 active caches with the NM flag set, 3 of which have been that way for years. Perhaps that's why it's bringing you to that page? Can you describe what that page is telling you?

All I can see is a blank green page. I have been through and cleared all the needs maintenance flags except for one which is currently undergoing maintenance.

All I can see is a blank green page. I have been through and cleared all the needs maintenance flags except for one which is currently undergoing maintenance.

You should see a big orange "Continue Anyway" button at the bottom of the page. If you are just seeing just a blank green page, you may need to force a refresh. Try holding SHIFT and pressing F5.

Good grief NM logs. Well I think what has happened is that we may have carried out the maintenance and just 'Write Note' instead of 'Owner Maintenance'. Have gone through and corrected all these except for one which is current. I guess it might be a way of encouraging cache owners to maintain their caches instead of listing new ones???? Will go and try another 'New listing' to see if this has worked.

I was going to start another thread on this but I'll put my comments here. Over the past few days, I have seen a flurry of Maintenance performed logs, mostly by a few prolific hiders. I have also seen quite a few caches that had been disabled for an extended time get archived by the owners when they realize that they are probably never going to replace them anyway and had simply forgotten about them.

I think that this is probably one of the smartest things that TPTB have done in a long time. It will save their reviewers countless hours of having to do things for cache hiders that have lost track of the status of their caches. It will put good active caches back into PQs for people that were filtering the NM attribute out and it will open up areas for new caches to be placed.

The only thing that could improve it is perhaps a message explaining that if maintenance has been performed, the process for clearing the flag. Some cachers still haven't figured out that they need to post a maintenance performed log.

All in all, I think the Lackeys deserve an at-a-boy on this one.

Over the past few days, I have seen a flurry of Maintenance performed logs, mostly by a few prolific hiders.

Do the logs sound like the owners are:

1. Actually doing maintenance

2. Logging it just to clear a long-ago-maintained NM flag

3. Not doing maintenance and logging it just to clear the flag

I'd hope they fall under the first two, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of the last. I keep a GSAK database of all the local caches, so I'll refresh it now and see if the same thing has been happening around here. We do have a Mega event coming up soon in the region, so a few people are bugging owners to fix their caches anyway.

Totally agree. There are some prolific hiders here that just keep putting out new caches, but ignore the NM on their existing ones. Very smart move indeed. I think it would have been good if the changes had been explained somewhere though instead of having to ask for help!! (Or maybe I missed it). Thanks for the advice, will see what happens.

Edited by Tramper Ted

Over the past few days, I have seen a flurry of Maintenance performed logs, mostly by a few prolific hiders.

Do the logs sound like the owners are:

1. Actually doing maintenance

2. Logging it just to clear a long-ago-maintained NM flag

3. Not doing maintenance and logging it just to clear the flag

I'd hope they fall under the first two, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of the last. I keep a GSAK database of all the local caches, so I'll refresh it now and see if the same thing has been happening around here. We do have a Mega event coming up soon in the region, so a few people are bugging owners to fix their caches anyway.

#2 seems to be the majority. A lot have replaced their caches or log sheets long ago but used the wrong log to report it.

Oh dear. Have fixed all NM logs so there are now none. Next went to fill in on line form for new listing.

Still get green screen (no 'proceed anyway' to be seen), and the following URL http://www.geocaching.com/hide/cachebasics.aspx

Aaargh!

Did you try SHIFT-F5?

If that doesn't work, try clearing your browser cache. What browser are you using? You may have discovered a bug. Apart from that, if you have no maintenance issues, you should land on the /hide/cachebasics.aspx page. The page works for me.

Edited by Don_J

Oh dear. Have fixed all NM logs so there are now none. Next went to fill in on line form for new listing.

Still get green screen (no 'proceed anyway' to be seen), and the following URL http://www.geocaching.com/hide/cachebasics.aspx

Aaargh!

Did you try SHIFT-F5?

If that doesn't work, try clearing your browser cache. What browser are you using? You may have discovered a bug. Apart from that, if you have no maintenance issues, you should land on the /hide/cachebasics.aspx page. The page works for me.

Tried Shift F5, will try clearing browser.