iPhone: how do I avoid using data?

Mombian

Hello all- yesterday after caching for about 3 hours, I received a message that said I was nearing 80% of my data usage!! I was blown away- my billing cycle started on May 11- 24 hours later, I had used over 800MB!!!

So I did some research here on geocaching.com. Pocket queries seemed to be the answer- Great!

I created one, downloaded it to my phone- let my phone run overnight while it loaded map tiles. So- here's where I am running into some concerns.

1. When I open the application, load the saved query, the list of 1000 caches comes up with no problem. When I ask to see it on the map (remember that I have downloaded tiles for all 1000 caches)- the app shuts down completely and I am returned to the homepage of my iPhone.

2. The only option to save tiles was the topographic tiles- great- but how do I use the query, using the topographic tiles without using my data? What changes need to be made in settings to ensure that data doesn't become active?

3. What other options do I have to use my phone as a gpsr without using data? (background: I have a

Gpsmap 62s- I find lots more with my iPhone and choose my iPhone over handheld- I don't want to invest in a handheld dedicated receiver)

Thank you so much for your thoughts and ideas-

Mombian

I don't download the map tiles. Also, my queries are never 1000. Too many caches makes the app squirrely.

Maybe run a few smaller PQs instead pf one bigger one?

Once your query is loaded, turn off your data in the settings.

I remember this happening to me in the past....crashing when I opened the maps. Maybe delete the PQ and then reinstall it, along with a reboot.