garmin etrex 20 or 30

Hi, I'm new to geocaching. So far I've been using my HTC for caching but after an unsuccessful trip & to disappointed children because my phone said I was along way from where I actually was, i've now decided to get a handheld GPS. I've been looking for a while as it was something I wanted to get in the future anyway.

I've seen the Garmin etrex 20 for £150 in halfords but the 30 is £180. Is it worth spending the extra £30 as according to Garmin the 30 can be used for paperless geocaching, can the 20.

Also will I have to by maps.

I would be grateful for any help. Thank you

Some thoughts:

1. use a dedicated satellite navigation application on the android machine when finding caches. Make sure you have a satellite lock. Uncheck the android options for navigation by wifi/triangulation etc and use GPS only. The GPS chipsets in phones are pretty much as good as anything else. I've heard rumors about the chipset in the Iphone 3GS being "bad" - but it seems to be just talk; people think they are navigating by GPS when they are in reality using wifi signals.

2. I am a quite unhappy etrex-30 owner, the device firmware just feels like an unstable foundation and I've been founding weird, "illogical" bugs by the dozen that should have been caught by a proper quality control/software review. Some people in here are highly satisfied with the unit, but I'd recommend against. By firmware 2.73 (latest) - just about usable with a couple of workarounds in place.

Differences between 20 and 30: 30 has wireless link, electronic compass and barometer. Barometer is handy for keeping track of weather; the electronic compass is not that impressive. Both support paperless geocaching equally well.

Because of the bugs, I say, also look toward the GPSmap62 devices.

Hi, I'm new to geocaching. So far I've been using my HTC for caching but after an unsuccessful trip & to disappointed children because my phone said I was along way from where I actually was, i've now decided to get a handheld GPS. I've been looking for a while as it was something I wanted to get in the future anyway.

I've seen the Garmin etrex 20 for £150 in halfords but the 30 is £180. Is it worth spending the extra £30 as according to Garmin the 30 can be used for paperless geocaching, can the 20.

Also will I have to by maps.

I would be grateful for any help. Thank you

To be honest its your choice as to whether the £30 price difference between the two devices is worth it or not. All I can say is that apart from the differences (already mentioned by tr s), there is in effect very little that you can do with the Etrex 30 that you can't do with the Etrex 20. They both have micro sd card slots, both have colour screens, both allow paperless caching and most importantly (to me at least!) is the ability to accept good quality maps. Don't buy ANY maps until you've tried those from www.talkytoaster.info these are free and really are excellent.

Forgot to mention, I own the Etrex 20... a brilliant piece of kit (in my opinion!)

Also forgot to mention that to get the most out of whatever device you decide to purchase, you will need to take out Premium membership (approx £18 a year).

Croesgadwr,

a North Wales geo-cacher

Edited by Croesgadwr

For me the electronic compass would be worth the extra, once you've used one you'll understand!

Remember it's not a 'compass' as such (doesn't point North), but points to the cache even when you are not moving.

I 2nd the electronic " pointer " ( compass )...don't buy a unit without one.

For me the electronic compass would be worth the extra, once you've used one you'll understand!

Remember it's not a 'compass' as such (doesn't point North), but points to the cache even when you are not moving.

Me too, but, to be picky, the compass does point north, its the arrow showing the direction to the waypoint that points to wherever the waypoint or cache is.

Count me as a happy eTrex 20 user. The price difference for me 70 USD so I went with the 20. I have 2 Vista HCx units and find the barometric altimeter is of minimal value. The electronic compass would have been nice, but not worth an extra 35% cost. And I have found that I am generally moving when approaching a cache anyway.

If I had the option of either unit at no extra cost, I certainly would have selected the 30. While I have some purchased maps, I have found the free maps to be excellent and I wouldn't buy any more.

My 20 has been rock solid. No problems at all and accuracy is just outstanding.