how do i do multi catches

mead2006

i have been wanting to do a multi cache for some time and i have read a few but have no clue when it comes to adding or subtracting the numbers to the cords i don't want to mess them up can anyone help me ???

There are many different varieties of multis. Can you provide a GC# so we cantake a look and see what help we can offer?

There are different methods, and they vary by cache owner. It also seems to vary by region what is the most common.

Where I am (in England) it is most common to convert information digit by digit. E.g the coordinates are N 51 24.ABC where A=number of letters B=age of person X C=height in meters (or whatever).

Looking close to you (and it also matches what I found in Ontario) I see a more mathematical calculation. E.g. Markers of the Past II:

At the posted coordinates take Nancy's age and divide by 1000

Then Subtract the new number from N43 41.701

Add the new number to W079 46.180

So for example, if Nancy's age is 50, then 50/1000 = .050. So the coordinates would be N 43 41.651 W 079 46.230.

I have a different view of a Multi Cache (please realize while reading the following that I seem to be in the overwhelming minority). What everyone else has described as a Multi example (requiring "adding or subtracting"), I would have published as a Puzzle cache. To me, the Stages of a Multi only provide plain text coordinates to the next Stage/Final (and there are many of these available). To do one of my Multi Caches you only need to know how to manually enter coordinates into your GPS device in the field. And that is a stumbling block for some new cachers (it was for me).

I have a different view of a Multi Cache (please realize while reading the following that I seem to be in the overwhelming minority). What everyone else has described as a Multi example (requiring "adding or subtracting"), I would have published as a Puzzle cache. To me, the Stages of a Multi only provide plain text coordinates to the next Stage/Final (and there are many of these available). To do one of my Multi Caches you only need to know how to manually enter coordinates into your GPS device in the field. And that is a stumbling block for some new cachers (it was for me).

There is some overlap between the two cache types. However, an offset cache is defined as a multicache by geocaching.com:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

Multi-Cache (Offset Cache)A Multi-Cache ("multiple") involves two or more locations. The final location is a physical container. There are many variations, but most Multi-Caches have a hint to find the second cache, and the second cache has a hint to the third, and so on. An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a Multi-Cache.

I remember the first multi I did.

It was of the form find the values of A, B, and C, then the cache is at N 51 21.ABC.

To me (having a Math degree) I read "ABC" as A times B times C - rather than as substituting the 3 values. When the final coordinates looked obviously wrong I thought some more and figured it out.

Here these types of caches are Multis. I see the distinction being - is it a straightforward calculation (which the owner expects everyone to be able to do), or is it something more complex (e.g using the question to answer plus some sort of code or cipher). The latter would be a Puzzle.

i have been wanting to do a multi cache for some time and i have read a few but have no clue when it comes to adding or subtracting the numbers to the cords i don't want to mess them up can anyone help me ???

There are many different varieties of multis. Can you provide a GC# so we cantake a look and see what help we can offer?

this is the one i was looking at

the bedrock multi

the bedrock multi

Okay, so go to the first stage (the posted coordinates), and then follow the instructions on the page:

Your first stage will take you to a new piece of craftsmanship that has been added to Kiwanis Memorial Park. There you will find a three digit number. Take this number and divide it by 1000. Then subtract it from these meaningless coords:

N43 40.608 W079 44.666

That will give you the coordinates for the second stage.

Enter the coordinates for the second stage into your device, then go to the second stage, and then follow the instructions on the page:

Use those coords to go to stage 2. Once at the second stage you will find 2 numbers. Take the difference of these two numbers, divide by 1000 and add it to these meaningless coords:

N43 40 239 W79 44.277

That will give you the coordinates for the third and final stage.

the bedrock multi

Okay, so go to the first stage (the posted coordinates), and then follow the instructions on the page:

Your first stage will take you to a new piece of craftsmanship that has been added to Kiwanis Memorial Park. There you will find a three digit number. Take this number and divide it by 1000. Then subtract it from these meaningless coords:

N43 40.608 W079 44.666

Enter the coordinates for the second stage into your device, then go to the second stage, and then follow the instructions on the page:

Use those coords to go to stage 2. Once at the second stage you will find 2 numbers. Take the difference of these two numbers, divide by 1000 and add it to these meaningless coords:

N43 40 239 W79 44.277

but how do you subtract or divide from the cords

Where we live, multicaches are caches with several stages to find before you can find the final. (Puzzle caches, which are especially abundant around here, usually involve a LOT of math ability, or knowledge of advanced cryptography!)

Some multis require mathematical calculations, and for those, it's a good idea to bring a pocket calculator or have a calculator app on your cell phone. Some multicaches have the coordinates for the next stage in each stage as you find it, so you need to enter new coordinates as you go along. (It's a good idea to have a pencil and piece of paper to note down the new sets of coordinates as you find them, in case you make a mistake along the way.) A few require you to be able to "project a waypoint," which not all GPS units can do.

The best plan is to read through the cache description before you go, and even print out a copy to take with you. Reading the logs of those who have found it gives you an idea of how difficult it may be. Pay attention to the terrain and difficulty ratings - they can tell you whether the cache is down in the deep gully or just right at the top near the path, which would be a 1 or 2 terrain rather than a 5.

Our favorite caches over the years have almost all been multicaches! They are usually placed by experienced geocachers who have worked out the cache plan very carefully, and the amount of time to find such a cache often indicates how much satisfaction you'll get from finding it!

Edited by The VanDucks
Okay, let's take a couple completely hypothetical examples. For the first stage, let's assume that the three-digit number is 456.

First, we "divide it by 1000" and get 0.456.

Then we do the subtraction:

N 43 (40.608 - 0.456) W 079 (44.666 - 0.456)

N 43 40.152 W 079 44.210

Let's say we get to those coordinates and we find the numbers 321 and 987.

First, we "take the difference" and get: 789 - 321 = 468.

Next, we "divide by 1000" and get 0.468.

Then we do the addition:

N 43 (40.239 + 0.468) W 079 (44.277 + 0.468)

N 43 40.707 W 079 44.745

Does that help?

Keep in mind that the three-digit numbers in the examples above are completely made up, and there may or may not be anything at the coordinates. But it should show you the process.

the bedrock multi

N43 40.608 W079 44.666

N43 40 239 W79 44.277

If you are asking how you enter these new coordinates into your GPSr so that you can go to the next spot, you'll need to do that manually. Check your GPSr User's Manual for how to do that.