62S Transferring Maps Unit to Unit

I have a 62S with a LOT of maps that I compiled with mapsource. Now that they are on the unit, can I copy all of them (in Windows Explorer) and then paste them to the same directory on a different unit?

I ask because the 62 is the only GPS I currently own, so I can't verify this myself. I'm wondering if I can transfer some of my maps to my daughter's unit by this method, when we go on vacation.

Thanks!

I have a 62S with a LOT of maps that I compiled with mapsource. Now that they are on the unit, can I copy all of them (in Windows Explorer) and then paste them to the same directory on a different unit?

I ask because the 62 is the only GPS I currently own, so I can't verify this myself. I'm wondering if I can transfer some of my maps to my daughter's unit by this method, when we go on vacation.

Thanks!

Depends on what unit your daughter has. Garmin DK,OR,62s,78,Etrex 10/20/30, and Montana will take maps in the format you have them on your 62s. Garmin 60CSX, Older Etrex, 76CSX, etc. will only take a single gmapsupp.img file, so if you have multiple files on your 62s you'll need to send them as a single gmapsupp.img in MapSource. As savant9 said trying to send a locked file like CNNANT to the wrong unit can spoil your day. And of course it won't work unless her unit's a Garmin. Also, FWIW, MapSource is a viewer, not a compiler. cgpsmapper and mkgmap are compilers.

Thanks!

Depends on what unit your daughter has. Garmin DK,OR,62s,78,Etrex 10/20/30, and Montana will take maps in the format you have them on your 62s. Garmin 60CSX, Older Etrex, 76CSX, etc. will only take a single gmapsupp.img file, so if you have multiple files on your 62s you'll need to send them as a single gmapsupp.img in MapSource. As savant9 said trying to send a locked file like CNNANT to the wrong unit can spoil your day. And of course it won't work unless her unit's a Garmin. Also, FWIW, MapSource is a viewer, not a compiler. cgpsmapper and mkgmap are compilers.

I see your point--maybe compile is the wrong word. In Mapsource, I select the maps, name the mapset, Mapsource does its "building mapset" routine and sends it to the unit as a gmapsupp.img file, which I later rename. What is the correct term for this?

Thanks for the info, guys, and yes her unit is a Garmin.