Paperless Method with Kindle...

Hi, i am quite new to this fantastic Hobby...hooked after first outing!!!

With my trusty Foretrex 301 me and the wifey have had some really enjoyable rambles here in derbyshire....

Anyway it occurred to me that i need a way to take the cache info/photos with us on our hunts......

I have tried my android phone but battery/readability quite limited so after a bit of head scratching i have come up with the idea of

using my Kindle. Screen grab/download your geo info then email it to your Amazon Kindle address and bingo! daylight readable info on a

wonderfully legible screen, bonkers amount of battery life.....

Ok images are not the best but for outdoor/sunny reading the kindle is brilliant.....

What do you use... any comments very welcome...

Chris,

West Hallam,

Ilkeston,

Derbyshire,

Uk.

Hi, i am quite new to this fantastic Hobby...hooked after first outing!!!

With my trusty Foretrex 301 me and the wifey have had some really enjoyable rambles here in derbyshire....

Anyway it occurred to me that i need a way to take the cache info/photos with us on our hunts......

I have tried my android phone but battery/readability quite limited so after a bit of head scratching i have come up with the idea of

using my Kindle. Screen grab/download your geo info then email it to your Amazon Kindle address and bingo! daylight readable info on a

wonderfully legible screen, bonkers amount of battery life.....

Ok images are not the best but for outdoor/sunny reading the kindle is brilliant.....

What do you use... any comments very welcome...

Chris,

West Hallam,

Ilkeston,

Derbyshire,

Uk.

When I geocache with my foretrex 301... It's almost always with my cellphone in the other hand. I'm a master at battery conservation when I need to. I tried preloading the 301 with caches once... But it just more work than its worth for me ( and I never guess correctly where I will be ). I will however load the cellphone with caches , and then turn off the cell gps, phone, and data. ( and turn the screen down to save battery ). Works great for those off the cuff geocaching adventures ! ( and the 301 does a great job!!! )

Yes you can use your Kindle for Geocaching. There is a piece of Geocaching Software call GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) that is a very powerful Geocachng tool. There has been a macro written that will allow you to export geocaches to your Kindle.

One word of warning regarding using your Kindle for Geocaching. The Kindle is not waterproof and it's screen is very fragile.

Hope this helps... :)

Yes you can use your Kindle for Geocaching. There is a piece of Geocaching Software call GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) that is a very powerful Geocachng tool. There has been a macro written that will allow you to export geocaches to your Kindle.

One word of warning regarding using your Kindle for Geocaching. The Kindle is not waterproof and it's screen is very fragile.

Hope this helps... :)

[/quote

Yes i agree.... very fragile (this is my second kindle!!)... i want to buy a paperless gps eventually, when budget allows...i am at the moment using what i have already got hanging around home...

As i am a complete gadget junkie, no doubt sooner than later i will be obtaining a new toy!!

Anyway thanks for the reply's... :D

Chris,

West Hallam,

Ilkeston,

Derbyshire,

Uk.

Edited by goose157