Help with missing descriptions and logs please.

davey101

I've generated a pocket query, which worked fine, except some of the caches dont have a description, hint or logs.

For instance, I've searched for a cache called 'gangers end' which is in the Forest of Dean (uk). If I search for it online, it shows the description, logs etc, but nothing shows up on my GPS (etrex 20).

I use GSAK to send GPX files to my Etrex, when I view 'gangers end' with GSAK, no description is available, and the last log date doesnt show up either. As well as using pocket queries, I've also tried sending 'gangers end' to my etrex manually, ie by looking at the cache on Groundspeak, and pressing 'send to gps'. This doesnt work either.

Second question....

This may be a little hard to describe, but here goes....

If I do a pocket query, I will receive waypoints which do not show up if I do a regular search.

For instance, if I do a PQ around Ruardean in the Forest of Dean (UK), I get Ruardean school and monument on my GPS . If I do a search of the same area, I dont get either. Are these 'Geocaches' actually just landmarks or something? There was no description, hints or logs on my GPS.

Edit- I've deleted all waypoints from my etrex, and downloaded another PQ. The rogue 'geocaches' no longer show up. I dont know where these 'waypoints' came from, could they have been from a map that I downloaded (opensource map).

Edit- Have now used the 'gpx file' button on the cache page, all details now show up on GSAK. Havent tried it with my gps yet, as its bed time :-)

Edit2- The caches with missing data are all over 15KMs from my home. Is GASK struggling past a certain number of waypoints?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by davey101

I've generated a pocket query, which worked fine, except some of the caches dont have a description, hint or logs.

For instance, I've searched for a cache called 'gangers end' which is in the Forest of Dean (uk). If I search for it online, it shows the description, logs etc, but nothing shows up on my GPS (etrex 20).

I use GSAK to send GPX files to my Etrex, when I view 'gangers end' with GSAK, no description is available, and the last log date doesnt show up either. As well as using pocket queries, I've also tried sending 'gangers end' to my etrex manually, ie by looking at the cache on Groundspeak, and pressing 'send to gps'. This doesnt work either.

Second question....

This may be a little hard to describe, but here goes....

If I do a pocket query, I will receive waypoints which do not show up if I do a regular search.

For instance, if I do a PQ around Ruardean in the Forest of Dean (UK), I get Ruardean school and monument on my GPS . If I do a search of the same area, I dont get either. Are these 'Geocaches' actually just landmarks or something? There was no description, hints or logs on my GPS.

Edit- I've deleted all waypoints from my etrex, and downloaded another PQ. The rogue 'geocaches' no longer show up. I dont know where these 'waypoints' came from, could they have been from a map that I downloaded (opensource map).

Edit- Have now used the 'gpx file' button on the cache page, all details now show up on GSAK. Havent tried it with my gps yet, as its bed time :-)

Edit2- The caches with missing data are all over 15KMs from my home. Is GASK struggling past a certain number of waypoints?

Thanks in advance.

Those waypoints you see that are not actually caches are "additional waypoints" that the cache owner has added to the geocache for reference. They may be a parking lot, a trail head, or a multitude of other things.

Thanks for that. I presume they are the 'child waypoints' (or whatever they are called)?

Is there no way to filter these out, its a little annoying trying to find a cache if there are loads of waypoints around.

Second problem sorted- did another pocket query, this time using the postcode of the problem caches as the centra of the search.

Same thing happend again, all descriptions were ok, upto a certain distance away. At least the caches I am interested in work now, but would like to know what the problem is.