Help with GPS choice

Hi

looking at getting a new (first) dedicated GPS unit to go caching, been doing some research and so far am stuck between 2

Magellan eXplorist GC 2011

or

Garmin eTrex 20

got to admit what i have read about them both they seem pretty much well matched with there pro's and con's. so is there any one out there that can give me some practical advice on them both having seen both or at least one in use in the real world

I am siding at the moment with the Garmin, because of the SD card and the fact you seem to be able to get more maps for it.

so any help would be great

thanks

Hi, sorry but I can't help with any advice about the Magellan.

I've owned an Etrex 20 since early January, and I've not had a single issue with it. It's been well reported that some people have had 'sticking issues' on the E20's & E30's when moving at very slow speed. Several updates of firmware may/may not have sorted this problem, but as I say it's not happened to my unit at all. I would recommend the Etrex 20 to anyone looking for a new GPS device.

Good luck with whatever unit you decide to buy.

I had the GC first and now own an etrex 20.

Most things are easier on a Garmin. Mapsource > Vantagepoint.. by a mile!

I did like the linking child to parent waypoints on the GC, and some of the screens were better.

You can't add or change the default map on the GC.. and you ARE going to want to eventually.

You will also find better support on the internet for the Garmin.

Shaun

Perhaps the better comparison is between the Magellan 310 and Garmin Etrex 20. They are very similar in price. The 310 has all the features of the GC plus more. It comes loaded with maps of USA, has a better screen resolution, and, arguably, better buttons than the Etrex 20. You can load additional maps to the 310, but it does not have the SD card slot. The 310 has better geocache sorting features. The 20 does not come with maps, but free maps are easy to find and load. It has more ability to customize, including which screens you want to use. The 20 also receives the second satellite system, which might help in some locations. Either of these will work well for you.

(I own the Etrex 20, the Magellan Explorist 110, and the GC and have used the 310)

Perhaps the better comparison is between the Magellan 310 and Garmin Etrex 20. They are very similar in price. The 310 has all the features of the GC plus more. It comes loaded with maps of USA, has a better screen resolution, and, arguably, better buttons than the Etrex 20. You can load additional maps to the 310, but it does not have the SD card slot. The 310 has better geocache sorting features. The 20 does not come with maps, but free maps are easy to find and load. It has more ability to customize, including which screens you want to use. The 20 also receives the second satellite system, which might help in some locations. Either of these will work well for you.

(I own the Etrex 20, the Magellan Explorist 110, and the GC and have used the 310)

Hi,

I see that you own a explorist 110 and a etrex 20 is the 50 dollar difference worth it especially for someone who is just starting out caching. I will more than likely use it for other outdoor activities, but have a limited budget. I looked at a dakota 10 as well just trying to figured out what is the best way to go and all help is appreciated.