Question About Trackable Protocol

spiritwolf922

I placed several trackables in caches over the weekend, and in some cases, I placed two: one of my own and one that I had picked up from elsewhere. I noticed that someone came in after me at a particular cache and removed BOTH of the trackables I placed. Is this ok to do or is it considered poor form? I don't take anything without leaving at least the same amount as I take, whether it's a trackable or a piece of swag. What is the generally accepted protocol for taking/leaving multiple trackables? I would also like to note that while I placed two trackables in this cache, I only removed a single trackable as that's what was available. I have passed up one trackable in favor of another at previous caches, while leaving one of my own to replace what I took. I just would like a little guidance on accepted practices so I can play the game in an honorable manner.

Perfectly acceptable.

If one can assist movement, they should move it -- or any they can.

I don't take anything without leaving at least the same amount as I take, whether it's a trackable or a piece of swag.

This treats a trackable as SWAG. It is not, and should not be treated as such, i.e. traded for another.

If I take a trackable out, I'll usually put a nice piece of swag in -- not because its a trade, but in order to improve the cache in recognition of the fact that it has given me more enjoyment. I wouldnt say it is compulsory, though.

I don't mind how many trackables someone takes from my cache, as long as they are moved on to another cache in a reasonable time and not kept.

I think some 'TB Hotels' have a different rule (take one, leave one), though.

That's what makes it a trackable prison. If you see that "rule" on the cache page, it should be ignored. Trackables trapped in those types of "hotels" should be liberated. Take as many as you can and get them moving again.

Trackables are NOT swag. There is no "take one, leave one" protocol when it comes to trackables.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

That's what makes it a trackable prison. If you see that "rule" on the cache page, it should be ignored. Trackables trapped in those types of "hotels" should be liberated. Take as many as you can and get them moving again.

Trackables are NOT swag. There is no "take one, leave one" protocol when it comes to trackables.

B.

+1... ignore that "rule".

That "rule", as you put it, is something concocted by the CO. There is no guideline (rule) about such practice. Frankly, I think that Groundspeak does not condone what we call TB prisons. The idea behind a trackable is to move it, not sit in a cache waiting for somebody to come along with another trackable to "trade" for it.

Think of it this way..... trackables are designed to 'use' caches. Caches are not designed to 'use' trackables.

B.

+1... ignore that "rule".

That "rule", as you put it, is something concocted by the CO. There is no guideline (rule) about such practice. Frankly, I think that Groundspeak does not condone what we call TB prisons. The idea behind a trackable is to move it, not sit in a cache waiting for somebody to come along with another trackable to "trade" for it.

Think of it this way..... trackables are designed to 'use' caches. Caches are not designed to 'use' trackables.

But it does sound as if it's ok to go ahead and leave swag and/or trackables in order to get them started on their journey and if there's a trackable available, to move it along as well. It's not that I'm trying to treat trackables as swag, rather I just want to give another geocacher in the area incentive to visit a cache that's at an interesting or explorable area in my hometown, such as an area park or landmark.