Different email servers, not alike?

The Cheeseheads

Hardly a critical bug, but still interesting...

I placed a new cache yesterday, named C₈H₁₀N₄O₂ (The chemical formula for caffeine.) A few people found it right away, and here's the first three email notifications I got:

UjvSx.png

Any reason that one is correct, and the other two choked either partially or completely on the Unicode subscript characters?

Also, for what it's worth, the PM notification broke down completely:

FRM:Geocaching"

SUBJ:=?utf-8?B?W0dFT10gTm90aWZ5OiBXaXMgS2lkIH

MSG:For GC3G9NV: Ca

Again, not a critical bug because I doubt too many people are using unicode in their cache names, although I wonder what this does in other countries, such as Japan, China, or Korea?

I have a cache with the letter "ø" in (Norwegian and Danish alphabets only), and the mail notification from Groundspeak occasionally messes ut up. In these cases, the subject says "W0xPR10gT3duZXI6IHRvcmlsayBmb3VuZCBYbWFzIzUsIETDuG5za2l0b3BwZW4gSUkgKFRyYWRpdGlvbmFsIENhY2hlKQ==" instead of "<nick> found Dønskitoppen II (Traditional Cache)". The ?UTF-8? introducer in the encoded subject seems to occasionally be ignored.

Out of 58 finds, the notification mail subject was mangled on 7. I've been working with SMTP and associated things since the mid 90's, and everything seems to be correct in the message headers. There is technically no difference between the mails with mangled subjects and those that look normal. All mails were sent from hardac.Groundspeak.com directly to my own private mail server.

Not a big deal for me, but the problem's definitely there.