I need a nice GPS

shaishoo

Hi

I saw that there are a lot of reviews on GPS's and well I got lost. I want to buy something that is not very expenssive but that I will enjoy it. i know im asking for a lot and to pay very little, But I think a cheap biggner GPS will be fine, maybe later I will buy a more advanced one.

What do you intend to use it for in addition to geocaching?

Will you or another family member get a premium membership? This will determine how useful paperless caching is for you.

Will you use it with maps? There are free maps available.

What is your budget? Preferred as well as maximum.

Without knowing that, here are some general suggestions :

1. Get used units - there are always people looking to upgrade. From your finds, it looks like you're in Israel. Perhaps from someone in Europe?

2. My experience is with Garmin only. While there are many non-Garmin units in use by others, I prefer Garmin because they're more widespread, meaning better chances of finding software / accessories by 3rd party, and if you encounter a problem, it is more likely that others have encountered it as well, and hopefully found a solution.

3. For a cheap Garmin, I'd suggest a used eTrex Venture HC. It cannot do paperless geocaching (display description, hints, logs). You can always use a smartphone to pull up those information. The eTrex 10 is a newer model that can support paperless geocaching (I think) but cannot display maps. The eTrex 20 is no longer inexpensive (MSRP is US$200) but looks like a nice unit if you don't need an electronic compass.

Regarding compass - all GPS units will point you towards your destination, if you are moving (walking is fine). Only those with an electronic compass can show you the correct direction when you are standing still.

Edited by Chrysalides

Thank you for your fast answer. I think I prefer a GPS with a paperless option. sinch Im in Israel europe is not always a good option since the shipping is not always cheap (somtimes its cheaper from the US). I wand something around 200$

Tomer

What do you intend to use it for in addition to geocaching?

Will you or another family member get a premium membership? This will determine how useful paperless caching is for you.

Will you use it with maps? There are free maps available.

What is your budget? Preferred as well as maximum.

Without knowing that, here are some general suggestions :

1. Get used units - there are always people looking to upgrade. From your finds, it looks like you're in Israel. Perhaps from someone in Europe?

2. My experience is with Garmin only. While there are many non-Garmin units in use by others, I prefer Garmin because they're more widespread, meaning better chances of finding software / accessories by 3rd party, and if you encounter a problem, it is more likely that others have encountered it as well, and hopefully found a solution.

3. For a cheap Garmin, I'd suggest a used eTrex Venture HC. It cannot do paperless geocaching (display description, hints, logs). You can always use a smartphone to pull up those information. The eTrex 10 is a newer model that can support paperless geocaching (I think) but cannot display maps. The eTrex 20 is no longer inexpensive (MSRP is US$200) but looks like a nice unit if you don't need an electronic compass.

Regarding compass - all GPS units will point you towards your destination, if you are moving (walking is fine). Only those with an electronic compass can show you the correct direction when you are standing still.

If it were me I'd put the extra money toward an etrex 20 as it is a far more capable unit. :)

I agree - at around $200, the eTrex 20 is definitely much preferred over eTrex H or Legend (I assume you mean the Legend H).

The base eTrex H cannot display maps, and uses a serial (as in RS-232) interface, no USB. The Legend H displays maps in black and white only. Both of them are not paperless capable, and you cannot add microSD cards (not that there's much you can do with them).

The eTrex 20 has a color screen, is paperless capable, and can track GLONASS satellites in addition to GPS. I believe it supports 2000 geocaches in GPX files in addition to 2000 waypoints. It can also take microSD cards (regular ones for you to add your own maps, or Garmin ones with maps pre-loaded). Right now it is slightly under US$200 here, a much better option than the other 2 units, well worth the price difference, and then some.

I guess the shorter distance to ship products from Europe doesn't make up for the higher prices there. I know someone in the U.S. who ordered an eTrex 30 from Australia through eBay and the price was quite attractive, so that may be an option (be careful buying from eBay, make sure the seller is reputable, and all that).

The Garmin etrex h is very good and cheap

It all depends on what you want to use it for.

If all you need is an accurate unit that shows you an arrow of where to go to your next waypoint, or to capture tracks / waypoints when you're out, it works very well.

If you need to view maps on the unit, it does not work at all.

If you want to transfer waypoints and tracks to / from the unit, it has a serial connection instead of USB. This means two things : you will very likely need a USB to serial adapter, and you will need the proprietary Garmin cable. There are some 3rd party cables that combine the two into one cable.

I don't recall the length of the display fields, but you will not be able to give long names to the waypoints. You will have to name your geocaches after the GC code - after stripping away "GC".

Does it work for geocaching? Yes. Is it the best unit for geocaching (ignoring price)? No. Ultimately it comes down to how much you're willing to pay for features and convenience.