really need some advice about android geocaching maps and GPS :/ please?

Since a few days ago I finally got my first smartphone (yay!) and I'm completely lost when it comes to setting up my GPS and making a Geocaching Application work on it :/ Any help would be really appreciated.

The phone is HTC Evo 3D. I have Wi-Fi at home, but since I don't have a contract with a phone company, I can't afford to be connected to the internet outside my home. And apparently the default GPS navigation that came with my phone, doesn't function (well) without the connection. Besides there is NO option to type in coordinates anyway, so it's pretty much useless for geocaching.

I saw that some people have a GPS application, that they downloaded extra off the internet, which lets them use GPS without any sort of internet connection...and also can type in coordinates. There's even Geocaching applications that show you a list of all nearby Geocaches (based on your current location). I would really really LOVE to go geocaching like that, but I don't know WHICH Apps I need (the names): There's SO many Geocaching applications, it's crazy :/ Any advice please? Which would you recommend? I have Android 2.3.

And how is that GPS application, I mentioned before, called? Where could I possibly download it from?

It would be great, if these applications were free - I can't really afford spending much on these things.. (and i didn't pay for my phone either..i got it as a gift).

Btw - I'm not sure about this - is there any application that shows you also the waypoints (all the stages) of a multi-cache? So you don't need to type them in manually? just asking. That would be awesome! I have a premium membership, so I could download the necessary files (GMX and LOC file), but where do I put the file then?

Ok well sorry for being such a noob.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank youuu