Downloading data to phone?

Sarah7405

Hi There

I'm new to Geocaching and currently using my android with the GeoBeagle app. I was wondering if there was any way I can send waypoints and info straight to my phone using a free app or the Groundspeak one. I am currently manually entering the co-ordinates onto the app and writing down all the clues and map info to take with me. I can go online whilst out and about but that can be a pain on my phone.

So could anyone tell me if I am missing an easier way to geocache? :)

Thank you in advance

Sarah

It's been a while since I used GeoBeagle, but it should still be possible to import the coordinates for a single cache into the app. The short version is that you view the geocaching.com cache page you want in the Android browser, then you click the "Google Maps" link at the bottom of the description (just above the logs). The browser will offer to open that link in the browser, in the Google Maps app, or in GeoBeagle. Choose GeoBeagle, and it will get the GCxxxxx code and the coordinates and let you navigate to the cache.

The long version is here:

http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/GeoBeagle#Importing_an_individual_cache_from_geocaching.com

Look at the Locus app and the Locus Geocaching addon (both free in the android market). I don't use beagle so can't help there. But using Locus and the addon, it loads the nearest 200 caches to my current location. It can be run as you travel to import additional caches as you move.

Locus offers maps, streets and the usual compass/distance bearing screens typical of geocaching.

Spend the $30 per year to be a premium member and then buy the official Android App.

As long as you have service - you have all the information stored on the Groundspeak servers.

Dear StarBrand,

i've done both. Please tell me: How do i transfer a cache which i view on the pc to my Groundspeak android app. I can transfer it to my gps (garmin) but when i press the button for the phone i just get to an info page.

Is there a trick that i missed?

From what I understand that "send to phone" only works with the official app. As I said above, I use Locus and I can get any cache I want right from the phone.

I can click on a cache using the android web browser and it sends it directly to Locus as a map marker. Easy peesy. It can be done sitting in my car anywhere I have cell service or I can pre-load 200 nearby caches and then move out of cell range (no data) but thus far, I have not had to exercise this option and I have not been out of cell coverage..oh, like ever.

I registered Locus last night ($5). Now it will download my PQs directly from geocaching.com and will keep and process my field notes and log finds very easily. Without the live map, C:GEO became not so useful as it was. I am not uninstalling it but I don't think I will use it much any more. I am considering popping for the pay NeonGeo as I like the dynamic map loading of caches and the styling but with Locus, I probably won't.

I registered Locus last night ($5). Now it will download my PQs directly from geocaching.com and will keep and process my field notes and log finds very easily. Without the live map, C:GEO became not so useful as it was. I am not uninstalling it but I don't think I will use it much any more. I am considering popping for the pay NeonGeo as I like the dynamic map loading of caches and the styling but with Locus, I probably won't.

I agree that it is less functional that it was, but not less functional than any other options. And plus, now it doesn't break the TOS. Ill have to ckeck out locus, I already own it but haven't played around with it much.

I agree that it is less functional that it was, but not less functional than any other options. And plus, now it doesn't break the TOS. Ill have to ckeck out locus, I already own it but haven't played around with it much.

Not sure what TOS it broke or is breaking to be honest. Its not a bad app, but as you said, its not as useful as it was. Neongeo is very very similar and DOES have live maps. Ya, you gotta pay after the demo, I get that.

If you try Locus, get the Geocaching addon for it (free separate download by another author). It will grab caches that are not in PQs so its similar to other "live" apps. Locus Pro will download your PQs from here and also synch field notes. I like the fact that Locus does street navigation too. This is real handy being able to have both a compass/pointer/map geocache app and in the same app easily get street navigation to the cache too. Yea, you can use other navigation apps, and even the stock android navigation is better than the Locus street navigation, its nice having quick and simple click a cache, select navigate to and you are off. No copying addresses, or other monkeying around. It also has augmented reality view (camera with HUD of cache location/direction) for an interesting alternative to attracting muggle's attention.

Yep, Locus does the same as well, logging finds, leaving field notes and updating the map. I have smilies on my map for my finds :) In fact probably 3/4 of my finds were logged standing at(or near) the cache in the field in Locus, NeonGeo or c:geo so I am familiar with the way they work. The all do the logging and updating in very similar ways and I don't think any of them have a clear advantage in this area.

I have no proof of this but from using c:geo and locus, it sure seems that locus is far better on battery life than c:geo is. It seems that when I used c:geo more than others, my battery life was much shorter. Now that 90% of the time I am using Locus, an all day cache tour only consumed 1/4 of the battery for 5 good hours of caching. c:geo seems to kill most of the battery in 3-4 hours. So thats like getting 20 hours of caching out of a charge opposed to maybe 5. Again, no controlled tests, just observations in the field. Maybe I have gotten better and thus use the phone less? Who knows, I only have 20 or so caches found so its not like I have 100's of caches for experience.

Yep, Locus does the same as well, logging finds, leaving field notes and updating the map. I have smilies on my map for my finds :) In fact probably 3/4 of my finds were logged standing at(or near) the cache in the field in Locus, NeonGeo or c:geo so I am familiar with the way they work. The all do the logging and updating in very similar ways and I don't think any of them have a clear advantage in this area.

I have no proof of this but from using c:geo and locus, it sure seems that locus is far better on battery life than c:geo is. It seems that when I used c:geo more than others, my battery life was much shorter. Now that 90% of the time I am using Locus, an all day cache tour only consumed 1/4 of the battery for 5 good hours of caching. c:geo seems to kill most of the battery in 3-4 hours. So thats like getting 20 hours of caching out of a charge opposed to maybe 5. Again, no controlled tests, just observations in the field. Maybe I have gotten better and thus use the phone less? Who knows, I only have 20 or so caches found so its not like I have 100's of caches for experience.

Very interesting. Ill have to give locus a whirl and see if I get any difference in battery. With c:geo I can go almost and entire 8 hours non-stop hammering it.... I have rooted my phone, though, so I may be getting better results than the norm...