60Csx, Basecamp and Geocaching

If anyone can help me out here I would appreciate it. I just figured out how to use Basecamp to transfer LOC files from geocaching.com to Basecamp to my GPS. Problem is they show up as waypoints and not as geocaches. When go to find the cache I do not have access to all the cache information/hints etc, nor can I say i 'found' the cache in my GPS to record it in the calendar.

Do I need to use the GPX file to make all this work? I never had a problem when using a PC but and now using and iMac. Also, do I need to be a premium member to get the GPX file?

The LOC file hasjust minimal info, ie, name, gc number, latitude and longitude, cache rating and container type.

The gpx file contains the cache listing text but no pictures. I believe you do not require a premium membership to download the GPX file from each cache page but you do if you want pocket queries which allow up to 1000 caches per query.

The LOC file hasjust minimal info, ie, name, gc number, latitude and longitude, cache rating and container type.

The gpx file contains the cache listing text but no pictures. I believe you do not require a premium membership to download the GPX file from each cache page but you do if you want pocket queries which allow up to 1000 caches per query.

I did find out you need to be a premium member for the GPX file. My biggest problem is getting them in the GSP so that I can use the geocaching function and not just the waypoint information. They do not even show up in the Geocaching section of the Garmin 60Csx when using waypoints. Would the GPX file change this? OPr could the problem be with Basecamp?

The 60CSx is very good at finding the caches but is NOT paperless. We have two of them and also a 76CSx which is the same and load them with GSAK. We use a Nuvi 550 for our routing and paperless information and also load it with GSAK. We find if we just have the size and the hint that is sufficent to find most of them, but we have been geocaching for over 10 years. Good luck.

GPX files will have the information you need to see the cachepage information.

Premium Membership is the way to get GPX files.

Okay....got my premium membership...now when I search at geocaching.com for a cache it is still only giving me the option to download the LLOC file and not the GPX file. I tried sending it directly to my GPS and the communicator says that it was written successfully however, the cache does not show up in my waypoints or Geocache list!!?? Any ideas on what I should be doing now?

As I mentioned above, if you are using the 60CSx as indicated in the topic heading, it is NOT paperless. You will not be able to get Hints, descriptions, and previous logs on the 60CSx. We have two of them that we use for finding the cache and have the paperless information on our Nuvi 550. You can still benefit from your PM by downloading PQ.

Edited by W7WT

Here's another post on how to enter as POI.

POI

or

a video from Headhardhat part one of two:

I downloaded the different icons of geocaching like not found, found, virtuals etc. onto my Csx and use them as waypoints with Gsak and icon macro. With %name,%hint,%size% last 4 found,days from last found terrain and diff.

Edited by icku