Asap please

CoriRawr

it says i should go with someone experienced in geocaching but its just me and my older brother. '_' will it be way more harder for us? Me and my brother are very good at finding things but since we are a little young i cant do this all the time... Also is a mobile phone Gps still a good tool? :huh: and maybe be a little specific..

I'll try to be as specific as possible but it's hard not knowing exactly what "a little young" means, whereabouts you live, and which mobile phone you have.

Starting geocaching when you're young can be challenging. Not having your own form of transport, having little time to cache between schoolwork and other activities, and just not being accepted by the geocaching community all make it hard to have fun caching, but if you stick with it for a while you'll end up enjoying it, trust me. Having an experienced geocacher show you how things work is a nice luxury, but it's not possible for everyone and it won't make the game harder, especially if you and your brother work together. Reading everything here will help a lot.

Like I said I don't know about the specifics of your phone, but if you're not in a position to buy a dedicated GPS device then you're obviously stuck using it. I know there are geocaching apps for iPhones, Blackberries, and Android and Windows 7 phones and I can help you pick an app if you have one of those, but if you have any other device you'll have to Google it for the details. I have a Blackberry but don't use any of the apps myself.

Yes, perhaps if we knew better how old "a little young" was, we could be more specific. Having an experienced cacher is a definite plus, but I did it without an experienced cacher the first time, and successfully made the find. My advice: Just keep searching if you can't find it, and pick a low D/T (Difficulty and Terrain) rating for the first time. If you DNF (Did Not Find) the cache, then come back again later, or try another. As for the mobile phone thing, I have heard that a lot of the GPS chips in mobile phones are quite accurate nowadays. What kind of mobile phone do you own?

You just got some advice from some of our experts here. Those two replies were from two forum regulars who are both young cachers.

Ambient Skater gave some good advice with his link to "geocaching 101" on this site. Take the time to really read that over.

Then take it's advice to start with finding easy ones. It can take a while to get the hang of this, so start with large caches and 1 rating on difficulty.

Caches in wooded areas or parks are often easier to find. Make sure you go in a safe area, and make sure adults know where you are and what you are up to. This is important. I'm an adult, easily more than twice your age, yet when I go out in the woods alone, I still call someone and tell them where I'm going, and when I'll be back so they can make sure I made it out okay. I also am sure to cache in safe areas when by myself too. Avoid bad sides of town like the plague.

Phones are good for people who want to check out the sport and see if they have enough interest in it to purchase a GPS. You can geocache with them, but they are not as accurate as a good Garmin hand-held GPS. The GPS is also waterproof, more shock proof, and the battery will last longer than a phone battery.

To start out on a budget, it will work. Just be aware it's not as accurate, so you'll need to search a wider area once you find ground zero.

Look for places that you might hide a cache.

Different areas have different standard hides.

Here in WA state, people like to hide them in tree stumps. We sure have enough of them!! After a while you'll get an idea where people like to put them in your area.

Have fun!!!

It's a great activity that gets you outside exploring more!! More young people should be doing it!!

Be sure to let us know how it goes!!

Another thing which I'd reccomend, to the OP, is to search for caches that are Small, Regular, or Large sized for your first time. Also, search for a Traditional type cache first. To have the website automatically show you easy caches, first go to the geocaching.com homepage, and enter your address in the box around the middle. Then, scroll to the bottom of the list and check the box "Highlight beginner caches." Any good starter caches will be highlighted in the list.

I second the cache size comment. As well as choosing caches that are 2/2 and lower. The larger cache sizes are often more fun for my kids because there's more than just a log to sign.

But the size also Usually makes it easier to spot. Just last night I spent 10minutes confounded at a cache I knew was there. Turned out I had been staring right at it but the CO did a great job with camo tape on a tree with heavy buds and new growth. It just blended right in. and when you're looking for a cache that may only be an inch long (or these ridiculous magnetic nano's the size of a fingertip) that is camo'd, it can be a chalenge.

If oyu have a good sized park nearby, there are probably several caches there. And since the spirit of the sport is in the amazong plaes it can take you, spend a day in the park enjoying the outdoors, maybe see some things you didn't notice before, and find a few caches to boost your experience points!

It would be nice to know your ages, but this applies to all of us, young and up - please always let an someone responsible know where you are going and when you will be back. If you get delayed, please call that person.

Have fun, and please let us know how you get on! Any more questions, please ask.