Garmin gpsmap 76 won't connect to windows7

I've seen other topics so close to this one, so I apologize. I tried some of the suggestions for other related devices to no avail.

My gpsmap 76 won't connect to the computer. I no longer have a computer that will allow me to connect via serial, only via USB, so I got the serial to usb connector. The 'puter looks for a device driver but can't find it. I've checked the Gps's interface and its set for Garmin, and the devices and printers section of the computer says that the USB-serial controller doesn't have a driver.

Pretend I'm an idiot... well, don't pretend, for its so. In GPS connections for dummies - speak, please help if you can.

Thanks.

Who did you get the serial -> USB cable from, and have you checked their website (or accompanying disk) for drivers, installers, etc? Also, note that some drivers for WinXP and earlier won't work with Win7, if that's what you have.

Note from Garmins serial -> USB cable page:

Note: The drivers for this product are not compatible in a 64-bit environment.

So if you've got Win7-64, as many do, and this product you'll need to look elsewhere.

Edited by seldom_sn

Who did you get the serial -> USB cable from, and have you checked their website (or accompanying disk) for drivers, installers, etc? Also, note that some drivers for WinXP and earlier won't work with Win7, if that's what you have.

Note from Garmins serial -> USB cable page:

Note: The drivers for this product are not compatible in a 64-bit environment.

So if you've got Win7-64, as many do, and this product you'll need to look elsewhere.

Rats! You're right. 64-bit environment. Okay, dusting off the old computer. Thanks, seldom seen.

Well, switched over to my old 32-bit, and still no joy. Either the USB-serial cable isn't recognized, though it says it is, or the garmin doesn't have a driver. Go to garmin.com, and the only thing I find for drivers of the map-76 is a marine POI resetter. I'm about ready to through this 76 through a window (and I'm generally such a peaceful, gentle soul!). Arrgh!

For your Windows 7 computer, don't trust the words of Garmin that there is no solution for your particular USB-serial converter (unless you got if from them); if the manufacturer of your USB-serial converter is in business, they probably have a 64-bit driver that you can download from their website.

The older Garmin serial GPSrs (like the GPSMAP76) did not have drivers. To move data into that GPSr through a serial port, you will need software that knows the Garmin protocol (e.g. GSAK, Easygps, Mapsource, GPSbabel, etc). If you have Mapsource, then try to get it to talk to your GPSr because that is Garmin software and it should work if you got the USB-serial converter to give our OS a serial port.

For your Windows 7 computer, don't trust the words of Garmin that there is no solution for your particular USB-serial converter (unless you got if from them); if the manufacturer of your USB-serial converter is in business, they probably have a 64-bit driver that you can download from their website.

The older Garmin serial GPSrs (like the GPSMAP76) did not have drivers. To move data into that GPSr through a serial port, you will need software that knows the Garmin protocol (e.g. GSAK, Easygps, Mapsource, GPSbabel, etc). If you have Mapsource, then try to get it to talk to your GPSr because that is Garmin software and it should work if you got the USB-serial converter to give our OS a serial port.

Yes this is two separate problems. 1. The USB to serial cable and 2. The communication between the computer and the device via this cable.

You must first solve issue 1. before you even think of trying to solve issue 2.

For issue 1. You must get the computer to recognize the USB to serial cable as a serial port, usually as something like COM3, 4, 5, 6 etc. Usually this is done by installing the USB to serial port driver from a supplied disk BEFORE you plug-in the cable. Try removing the cable, reboot the computer, insert the disk that came with the cable, follow the instructions, plug-in the cable. You should then be able to go into the device manager->Ports (COM & LPT) - there you should see a reference to the USB/Serial cable. You will then need to set-up the serial port settings to match the device, these will be things like baud rate, # data bits, start/stop bits etc.

Then follow Hynr's directions for communication between the computer and device.