This field should be added to the cache submission page:

BassoonPilot

I guess nobody else considers this an issue worthy of discussion.

There's a checkbox for providing HTML; I see no reason there should not not be a checkbox that says something like "I have read the guidelines pertaining to 'Off-Limits (physical) Caches' and this cache is in full compliance."

I've come across several caches over the last couple of months that were impossible to access without knowingly trespassing ... one either had to go past "No Trespassing" or "Restricted Area" signs or climb fences on which similar signage was attached. In most cases, e-mails to the cache owners (in which I asked if there was a way to access the particular cache legally) have been ignored.

I was of the opinion that the image we wanted to project about geocaching and geocachers was one of responsibility and respect for the property rights of others. Apparently, this issue is low on most geocachers' radar screens.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I guess nobody else considers this an issue worthy of discussion.

Or else it's already being beat to death in this current thread.

Just curious, was there a certain cache that prompted this? There is a certain new cache I have my suspicions, but since I've been staying 100 miles away from it all week, I haven't had a chance to go check it out.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

BTW, if it's definately not possible to do without tresspassing, and there is nothing on the cache page mentioning that permission has been granted to do so, I have no qualms about bringing it up to the admins. I'f I've been to the cache site, and I am positive there is know way to LEGALLY access the cache, I will use the archive this cache button. If I havent been there, but its pretty obvious from the logs, I will ask one of the cache reviewers to re-review the cache.

Call me a spoilsport.

Tell me to MYOB.

Tell me to not hunt them if I dont like them.

Whatever.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I think it is a good idea, but I don't think it will solve anything. I believe that everyone would check that box, even if you did have to trespass to get there. After all, the online form already states, 'Prior to submitting a cache for approval please review the geocache guidelines posted here and be sure your cache complies.'

I just believe that most people who will place a cache in an inappropriate location will routinely lie about it when asked.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

[This message was edited by sbell111 on January 16, 2003 at 09:16 AM.]