Geocaches appear on MapSource maps

Flinters

Uninvited geocaches (lots of them) appear on my MapSource maps. Whatever area I choose, after a short while any caches that were ever in that area appear and clutter up the map. How to stop this please.

Your question didn't make much sense over in the GSAK forums, and it isn't any better here. You're going to have to give us more information about what you're doing.

Uninvited geocaches (lots of them) appear on my MapSource maps. Whatever area I choose, after a short while any caches that were ever in that area appear and clutter up the map. How to stop this please.

Your question didn't make much sense over in the GSAK forums, and it isn't any better here. You're going to have to give us more information about what you're doing.

I open my computer, go directly to MapSource to check on the lake or lakes that I want to go ice fishing on. I havce never opened the Geocaching web site but all the caches that have ever been in this area apper on the MapSource map. Very cluttered. I don't know how to say this any simpler. How can I stop Geocaches from appearing in MapSource?

I open my computer, go directly to MapSource to check on the lake or lakes that I want to go ice fishing on. I havce never opened the Geocaching web site but all the caches that have ever been in this area apper on the MapSource map. Very cluttered. I don't know how to say this any simpler. How can I stop Geocaches from appearing in MapSource?

Mapsource is a Garmin product that displays maps you have loaded into it. What map do you have selected?

The Mapsource example below has "US Road & Rec" selected

mapsource.gif

I havce never opened the Geocaching web site but all the caches that have ever been in this area apper on the MapSource map.

Can you post a screenshot? We might be able to tell how this is happening if we can see what you're seeing. I don't know of any way that caches can automatically show up in MapSource. The only way for them to show up is if you open a GPX file containing caches with MapSource, or download them from your GPS. If you've never been to Geocaching.com, though, I can't figure out where they might have come from.

I had to look over there to see what A-Team is referring to. Seems you mentioned Mapquest, Google Maps and MapSource over there.

Focusing just on the section in bold, I'm guessing you're actually talking about Google Earth, and you have the Geocaching plugin installed.

If so, over on the left side of the Google Earth window is a section titled "Places." In that list you should find an item called "Geocaching Google Earth Viewer" - uncheck the checkmark next to that and the geocaches will stop showing on the map.

Focusing just on the section in bold, I'm guessing you're actually talking about Google Earth, and you have the Geocaching plugin installed.

Now that's thinking outside the box! I would never have thought that they may be referring to a completely different program. It does beg the question, though: if they have "never opened the Geocaching web site", how would they have gotten the plugin?

It does beg the question, though: if they have "never opened the Geocaching web site", how would they have gotten the plugin?

Flinters has been of a member geocaching.com since 2001 and has 394 finds.

I know, I was just quoting what they said earlier:

It's hard to troubleshoot a problem when you aren't given all relevant information, or are given incorrect or mis-leading information.