Garmin gpsmap 62s - Possibly a dumb question.

Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to have a look at my thread..

I recently purchased a garmin 62s, honestly, I like it, apart from alot of negative reviews, however.. theres just one thing that puzzles me..

Upon purchasing this gps, I went the full yard, and purchased premium membership(money well spent!!).. I've set up a few pocket queries etc, as well as alerts when new caches in surrounding areas are published, for that extra special chance at a ftf..

So, on the GPS, if i'm out away from the pc, i'll need to manually enter coordinates..

So, I push find, go to coordinates, enter the coordinates from the cache home page(read off my phone) and down the bottom, is "go", great, if only it was THIS easy, I hit go, and.. well i'll be darned, it says its navigating to a cache near me?.. when I go to find again, it says "currently navigating to coordinates"

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers guys, much help will be appreciated..

Frustrates me because I had to use my rather inaccurate iphone to attempt a ftf when coordinates wouldn't work at the parking spot for the cache, I was literally going by satellite view to find the cache.

Try marking a waypoint, then editting those coords. A goto to a waypoint should work for you.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, did not work..

It seems, that regardless, it's always navigating to something, my personal preference is the "trip computer" dashboard, and, when you push find, it'll have the menu popup, you can select geocaches etc. now, I created a waypoint("mark" and named it 001, for example.. and edited the coordinates to what i wanted..)

So, the test, find - stop navigation(if anything was being navigated to), find > waypoint manager, 001, "go", it shows it on the map, says its 9.6km away, annnnnnnnnd... well dadgum, its still navigating to another random bloody cache.. it literally seems to be stuck on one cache.

Any further suggestions?

Edited by You_Cached_Me

ah!! I'm guess it's similar to the 450...

If you have the geocaching dashboard visible then it will show the distance to nearest geocache if you are navigating, even if it's actaully going to a waypoint.

Change to the 'recreational' (or any other) profile or don't show the geocache dashboard :)

Hello everybody,

I'd like to thank Peoria, Eusty and Savant personally, for taking the time to have a crack at resolving the issue,

Unfortunately, The methods mentioned in previous posts, would have worked, had the gps unit not require a reboot.

I phoned Garmin Australia this morning, looking into an easy way of navigating to coordinates, thinking "it's rather stupid that you just can't navigate on a different dashboard" as it wasn't allowing me to do this, even in recreational mode.

The problem:

Regardless of dashboard, it will say "navigating to coordinates" but it'll show distance to "nearest cache"(as mentioned above by Eusty.)

The fix: Reset the unit

Turn the unit off.

Hold down Enter, Page and Power and wait for the unit to begin the loading page, continuing to hold power, let go of enter and page.

The unit will then ask "do you want to delete user data"

Selecting "yes" will reset the unit, don't panic, the geocache files programmed in already, will remain there.

The unit may be off, if so, turn the unit back on, it will take a little longer to power up, (I found it to be longer than when I actually bought the unit).

Select your language, and you'll see the map.

Regardless of method of how you enter coordinates, either by using the "mark button" then finding it in the menu, the saved waypoint, that is, or by using the find > coordinates > etc. - It will always show distance to nearest geocache on the trip computer(if on the geocaching, geocaching - detailed dashboards), A simple swap over to "compass" while still in the "Geocaching" profile, which, if standard layout is still active, is literally right next to trip computer, will have the coordinates being taken to on the compass..

Thanks guys,

I hope my post helps others that have had issues with the 62s..