A month to fix the BOM problem?

msoregon91

On another thread, Moun10bike posted....

This issue was caused by the addition of a byte order mark (BOM) at the start of the GPX files generated by the site in preparation for handling Unicode. While this is allowable practice, it is not recommended and has broken some third-party applications. Since the BOM is not necessary for UTF-8 files, we will be removing it in our next site release, currently scheduled for Feb. 28th.

...One correction to my previous post - the fix will be in our March 13th release rather than our February 28th release.

Since Groundspeak is going to take a month to fix the file problem that "has broken some third-party applications", can I get a 1 month credit on my premium membership?!?

To be more accurate, it is going to take 2 weeks and 5 days to fix the issue, and in the meantime there are numerous work-arounds. However, if you feel that you are not willing or able to work around this bug, then please email contact@geocaching.com so that we can personally address your specific complaints. This forum is for reporting of bugs only.

To be more accurate, it is going to take 2 weeks and 5 days to fix the issue, and in the meantime there are numerous work-arounds. However, if you feel that you are not willing or able to work around this bug, then please email contact@geocaching.com so that we can personally address your specific complaints. This forum is for reporting of bugs only.

A month from when the files started containing the BOM. I DID report it here, right after it occurred. But nothing will be done until 3/13/2012. That's not good service IMHO.

But nothing will be done until 3/13/2012. That's not good service IMHO.

That's actually quite a rapid response for a software coding change to be rolled out to the public. I would take this issue up with the developer of the application that you are relying on, as it should be robust enough to handle the BOM at the start of the file.