Garmin eTrex Legend sw update

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend (original). I have been trying to import waypoints from Google earth, which required conversion to a GPX file. Done. However, my computer doesn't have a serial port. So, I bought a USB to 4-pin connector. Easier than the serial-to USB converter and monkeying with COM ports, right?

However, under SETTINGS > INTERFACE > I only see "Serial Data Format" options:

Garmin

Garmin DGPS

NMEA In/NMEA out

Text out

Rich In

Rich In/NMEA Out

Rich In/Text Out

None

What should this be set to if I'm not using a serial connection, but a USB? Can the original eTrex even support this connection?

If I can get this connected, I can update the software from v3.7 to v3.9 and solve my "Wait finding satellites" problem, and ultimately load my GPX points.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not sure you'll be able to send waypoints to the device straight from Google Earth. It has been a while since I used mine but remember being restricted to data transfers through Mapsource. "Garmin" is the correct protocol to use for Mapsource. "NMEA" would be the correct protocol if you wish to stream NMEA sentences to an application that supports it.

Have fun - I found a ton of caches with the "blue" legend before making the huge upgrade to the "gray" legend (colour). :o

What you have will not work. USB and serial communications are two entirely different protocols, and are not interchangeable. You still need to have a USB-serial converter to change the USB coming out of your computer to the serial that the Legend needs. A simple USB to four pin Garmin plug will not do that, and the blue Legend only talks in serial.

I've never tried, but I bet Google Earth only outputs to USB. All the instructions on this that I'm finding online require a USB-serial converter.

Finally, it's been my experience (I had a blue Legend for years and still use it occasionally) that you can only write waypoints to it with the Garmin interface setting, but again only in serial.

Thanks for the responses.

Sussamb and Coggins: You were correct. It needed to be on Garmin. Managed to update software to v3.9. Success!

Barnies and StarDoc: I'm not trying to import directly from Google earth. I converted kmz to a gpx file as an intermediate.

I'm trying to use Garmin POI loader to transfer the gpx file to GPS unit and I'm getting the following error message:

“Some devices were found, however, none have the necessary capabilities. Please make sure your device is connected to the computer and turned on, then try again. You may also need to set the interface option on your GPS to ‘Garmin’ or ‘Host’.”

If I was able to update the software, it’s able to communicate over the USB to Serial converter connection. Why would POI tell me the eTrex doesn’t have the necessary capabilities?

Thanks again for your help.