An easy feature request...

wwp

Here's something that should be easy:

Could we please make logs on caches stop eating quotation marks?? It's really annoying to "put something in quotes" in a log, and go back to the log and find them missing (often at the cost of understandability).

I realize one can use two ticks (apostrophes, whatever) to emulate a quote mark but ... come on. There's just no good reason for this limitation.

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Jay, Caine, and Becca:

Here's something that should be easy:

Could we please make logs on caches stop eating quotation marks?? It's really annoying to "put something in quotes" in a log, and go back to the log and find them missing (often at the cost of understandability).

I realize one can use two ticks (apostrophes, whatever) to emulate a quote mark but ... come on. There's just no good reason for this limitation.

Actually, there is a good reason for this. It's to prevent people from inserting malicious code into logs. If you want quotes, just use the standard html equivalent to insert a quote into a log.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect on July 31, 2003 at 11:06 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

It's to prevent people from inserting malicious code into logs.

That's a really lame excuse (if it's the official reason). It's totally trivial to programmatically replace quotes with the HTML entity ( " ) while the log is being posted.

In perl (yes, I know they're using VB, but I refuse to learn a platform-proprietary language), it's this simple:

$log_entry =~ s/"/"/g;

It can't be that much harder in VB.

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin!:

In perl (yes, I know they're using VB, but I refuse to learn a platform-proprietary language), it's this simple:

Let all us join together in the mighty chorus of thhbbbttting...

icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System