Garmin 62s - loses power if knocked?

zpyder

I'm curious if anyone else has this issue with their Garmin 62 model GPS unit. Basically, if you knock the unit, it loses power and turns off.

I've found frequently that when I've been out on walks, I'll go to check my GPS and it's turned off. I've finally got round to checking my suspicions, but it literally just takes a short sharp knock to the side of the unit and it'll turn off. And apparently it's enough to turn off if it's clipped on my bag and I drop my bag to the ground. I'm sure there is no way it'd stay turned on for more than 100m if it was mounted to my bike.

This is pretty poor for a "rugged" device. I've tried bending the battery power clips out a bit, but this hasn't helped. The batteries are in so tight I'm wondering if it's something loose within the device itself.

I've searched the forums and seen one mention of this happening on a 60CSx model, but that was solved by bending the battery clips out. I'm guessing it might be a case to return to Garmin...

I agree with your findings, the batteries in my 62s are so incredibly tight that this is not your problem. I hate to say it may be an internal problem (bad soldered connection?, broken wire?) that will require sending in to Garmin. Hopefully it will only cost you shipping and being without your 62s for a few days!

It's always something, isn't it? I've had various GPS models (not just Garmin) where the springs were loose enough to cause that kind of power down - and others as the OP noted, so tight that you can barely get the things in or out.

I'd agree with Timpat, if it's the springs seem very tight it's probably something awry inside. Before sending it back to Garmin though, I'd check where you bought it and see if they'll swap it out for you.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

If out of warranty, open the back of the case, it's very easy - and have a good look at the to contacts from the batteries to the 2 gold pads on the circuit board. On the 60 series these pads could wear after heavy use or if any moisture at all got in or a battery leaked.

If dodgy, simply clean the pads and reassemble. It takes very little wear to make a poor contact. In severe cases I've simply hard wired the contacts. For the 62 series, a T6 screwdriver bit is the correct size. Photos are a 60CSx but the contacts in a 62 are similar.

60CSxpoorcontacts3Large.jpg

60CSxpoorcontacts4Large.jpg

Edited by kiwitonita

I have a 60Cx. It had a similar problem but the other way around. I could not shut it off. Very difficult to turn on. Turns out the ON/OFF switch was at fault. I use it on my Suzuki DR650 motorcycle. It vibrates a bit and shook up the innards of the unit. It was of course out of warrentee at this point. I had to send it along with $150 to a repair centre and they replaced it. Sucks but still cheaper then a new unit.

Then I had issues with Garmin to unlock my maps again. As it was a differant unit right!! They unlocked the maps once I explained the situation!

The rubber plunger which presses down on the switch in the 60 series is prone to getting a little indent where it touches the switch. The switch itself is very solidly mounted but after a lot of use the indent in the rubber can make the switch very hard to operate. It should be quite a positive "click" on and off, not a hard press. An easy fix, if this is the case, is to remove the rubber cap and apply a very small dot of Araldite (or similar hard setting epoxy) on the tip of the plunger to build it up maybe 1mm.

The rubber cap can be removed without dismantling the case as it's simply held on with hot melt glue or similar. Afterwards, clean off all the old, hard glue and fix it back on. Here's a cap off an Astro but the same applies.

AstropowerbuttonwithindentSmall.jpg

60CSx Power Switch:

GPSMAP60CSxpowerswitchSmall.jpg

GPSMAP60CSxpowerswitchcloseupSmall.jpg