Garmin 62s losing tracks

TheJC's

We are using a Garmin 62s with topo map from GPSDepot installed. It has lost the current track data 3 times now. I have it set to automatically archive when full. Our problem is that the track just goes crazy. Missings sections, jumps around on the track, etc. This has happened while a friend's identical unit performed flawlessly. Clearing the current track data has fixed it each time but at that point my track is lost. This would not be good if we were needing the track to return to the car.

Garmin said to update to the newest software. I haven't used it a lot since the update and am worried this did not fix. Friend's unit acted up only after they updated. ??? They have switched back to old software.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this trouble.

Any ideas on the cause?

Thanks.

On my 60CSx a long time ago I had instances of dropped track data. In my case the trouble was the microSD was loose. My standard practice changed to re-seat the latch on the card holder every time I fussed with the battery compartment and haven't had a problem since. Don't know if that is the case with your 62s or not. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

No SD card in the GPSr. Empty slot.

Yes we were side by side on same route. Happened two seperate instances and different locations when her's worked fine and mine went crazy. The terrain was wooded but nothing that should cause loss of reception (like you see by cliffs).

Thanks again.

I have not seen this type of behavior with my 62s after lots of use and long hikes collecting track data. It's always a good idea to update the firmware when they it is announced. Alternately, by reloading the same firmware this often fixes any glitches that may occur for unknown reasons, too. Try reloading or updating firmware and let us know if it clears this issue up?

I haven't had any probs with Tracks since the upgrade to 3.6 but I did have an issue with the map reloading after specific operations with geocaches. As others items I have need full resets after software upgrades I decided to do a full reset of the 62s, problem gone. Worth a try but be warned it erases all your settings and anything stored on it.

I haven't had any probs with Tracks since the upgrade to 3.6 but I did have an issue with the map reloading after specific operations with geocaches. As others items I have need full resets after software upgrades I decided to do a full reset of the 62s, problem gone. Worth a try but be warned it erases all your settings and anything stored on it.

Makes sense to me. Eliminate software variables. If that doesn't work, suspect hardware. Use Garmin's WebUpdater to update the firmware. If the current firmware causes problems (which I doubt) legacy 62 firmware versions are available here: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/gpsmap62_78/

I think I meant firmware when I said software. I used the webupdater to load on the latest version for the unit so I think I am good there. (Has some nice new features for cache descriptions by the way)

Resetting was another suggestion Garmin had mentioned. If it happens again I will try that. I hate to have to set everything up again but it can be done. I just don't want my warranty to run our before I get it fixed.

I was mainly wanting to air this out here to see if anyone else has had the same issues. You guys ideas have been in line with Garmin's so that makes me more confident.

Thanks again everyone.