solved but not found...query help

Cubby&BigBear

hey guys,

i know how to run queries for most cache types (by either including or excluding the stuff i wanna go after)

but i'm having difficulty with puzzles that i have solved but not gone after physically yet.

typically if i'm going somewhere i'm either run a query and send the info to my sat nav to view and plan my attack, then send send to my handheld and have at it.

OR

run an advanced search of some type on my iphone and save those caches to their own list...again plan the attack and away i go.

however, around some parts of the world you'll find whole series of puzzles (i'm in eastern canada...have a look at the puzzles in this series on the map using GC32T49 as a guideline) sooo....assuming i solve a bunch of these and deduce their corrected coordinates....now what do i do????

I suppose i could enter them all separately by hand. but that gets a bit tedious when the series has more than a handful of caches in it.

Is there a way to send "solved" but not yet found puzzles to my gpsr, sat nav, or phone? i don't know how to run a query that would actually show the corrected coords.

i notice that on each puzzle cache page i can adjust the coords...but the file that gets downloaded...does it show the original coords? or the adjusted ones??

i guess what i'm asking is really about getting organized. Once you've solved a series of puzzles..what do you guys do? I've never tackled finding more than one puzzle at a time, but i really want to. What's the most efficient way?

thanks for any help you can provide

My approach is to maintain a "solved unfound puzzles" bookmark list, and to run a PQ off that bookmark list.

Right now, I keep the solved coordinates in 3 places: in the Personal Cache Note field of the cache itself, in the description of the entry in my bookmark list, and in boulter's Geocaching Basecamp. Neongeo (an Android app) will move caches to the coordinates in the Personal Cache Note. Or I email the PQ to boulter's Geocaching Basecamp and download a GPX file with corrected coordinates from there.

As the new Edited Coordinates feature gets fleshed out more, I'm hoping to start using it, replacing parts of my current process.

I utilize a feature in GSAK that allows you to enter the updated coordinates into the system as you solve it. I then lock those coordinates as the new coordinates for the cache so that whenever I run a new PQ it does not override the updated coordinates. I also put in the notes how I solved the puzzle and what websites I may have used to solve it just in case I didn't solve it correctly.

I utilize a feature in GSAK that allows you to enter the updated coordinates into the system as you solve it. I then lock those coordinates as the new coordinates for the cache so that whenever I run a new PQ it does not override the updated coordinates. I also put in the notes how I solved the puzzle and what websites I may have used to solve it just in case I didn't solve it correctly.

If you're referring to the "Corrected coordinates" function, you don't need to worry about locking the cache. Corrected coordinates aren't affected when you load a GPX. Locking should only be a last resort, because it prevents things from being updated like the description and hint. This could lead to your searching in the wrong spot, using the wrong access, etc. because your information is out-of-date.

Regarding the OP, bookmark lists are probably your best bet at the moment. Once the Groundspeak updated coordinates feature is completed, that'll do what you want (we hope).

If you're referring to the "Corrected coordinates" function, you don't need to worry about locking the cache. Corrected coordinates aren't affected when you load a GPX. Locking should only be a last resort, because it prevents things from being updated like the description and hint. This could lead to your searching in the wrong spot, using the wrong access, etc. because your information is out-of-date.

Regarding the OP, bookmark lists are probably your best bet at the moment. Once the Groundspeak updated coordinates feature is completed, that'll do what you want (we hope).

Thanks, I meant to say "save" after updating the coordinates. I'm a little tired from just finishing 72 hours at the fire house :D .

ok...so i finally downloaded GSAK...very cool!!! but now i need some help running it. I have no problem opening pocket queries. okk...but i'm now back to my original question above....how do i download all my corrected caches' gpx files at once? a user above says he runs a query based on a bookmark list?? what? how?

the only way i can manage to get a bunch of puzzles to show up is by downloading their corrected gpx files one by friggin one.

EDIT: ok i did just that....one by one as i corrected them....now this poses a new problem...it seems that i can't open more than one gpx file at a time, the way i was able when i loaded a zipped query. how do i select more than one file to open? i figured i could just ctrl+click them, but that didn't work...so low and behold i had to load them into my puzzle cache database one by one again.

ps - the map macro enabled me to plot all my unfound (but solved) puzzles reaaaaallly nicely on a map, which is amazing. i just need a way to open those darn files in GSAK quicker than one at a time

it seems that i can't open more than one gpx file at a time, the way i was able when i loaded a zipped query. how do i select more than one file to open?

In GSAK, go to File > "Load GPX/LOC/ZIP...". In the load window that comes up, make sure "Use defaults" in the center is unticked. Select the database you want to load them into, change "Load type" (just down and right of center) to "Folder", and at the very top choose the folder containing your downloaded GPX files. It will then load all GPX files in that folder.