Using a different identity or sock puppet in geocaching

motnahp

This post has been prompted by some discussion in another topic. It would appear that some members are concerned that it is possible to have more than one identity when caching and writing to this forum. I am using a different identity from the one I use for caching. It seems to me that this is in keeping with the geocaching game (it is a game isn't it?)

I would be happy to hear other member's views

I am using a different identity from the one I use for caching. It seems to me that this is in keeping with the geocaching game (it is a game isn't it?)

They actually cover this in the forum guidelines (bolding mine):

4. Sock puppet accounts are not permitted. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts may be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

If you feel the need to post something anonymously, then perhaps you should consider whether posting it at all is necessary.

I am using a different identity from the one I use for caching. It seems to me that this is in keeping with the geocaching game (it is a game isn't it?)

please explain how is it having separate account "keeping with the geocaching game" :blink:

its geocaching not splitpersonalitycaching :lol:

Edited by t4e

I believe there is also the option of logging in anonymously.

I'm posting this after "logging in anonymously". All it does is keep your name from showing in the list at the very bottom of the main forum page. In actuality, this feature is nowhere close to being as advertised, and is pretty much useless.

Posting with a sock-puppet account is not permitted in the forums.

Guidelines.

As posted by the bejeweled one...

4. Sock puppet accounts are not permitted. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts may be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

Closing this thread.