Yearly Breakdown Find Rate?

Copaman

Can someone explain the math to me?

I've found two caches in two days, one on each day (keeping my streak going). Just for kicks, I went to go look at my statistics, and there's a section called "Yearly Breakdown" that shows 2 total caches and the Find Rate is 0.6667 caches/day.

I would expect that the average over two days for a total of two caches would be 1 cache per day. But it says 0.6667, which is what it would be if it were averaged over THREE days.

Is Groundspeak already adding the leap year day into the statistics or what? Because somehow, there's a phantom day in the calculations somewhere.

A wild guess here,

but could it be down to a time differance between you and the Groundspeak servers ?

i would say that is correct since UK is 8 hours ahead of GC's location

from the time stamp of the post it was past midnight in UK so the OP was already on January 3rd

A wild guess here,

but could it be down to a time differance between you and the Groundspeak servers ?

from the time stamp of the post it was past midnight in UK so the OP was already on January 3rd

Um, did you even look at where the OP is from? It clearly says on her profile that she is from Minnesota. At the time she posted, it was still very much the 2nd both at her location and in Seattle. Maybe the server uses UTC to calculate the stats. At the time of this post (9:50 PST/17:50 UTC), my stats show a correct calculation (20 finds in 3 days=6.6667 caches/day). I'll check after 4:00 my time when UTC switches to the next day to see if it changes.

I checked the thing just now, and it appears that the stats go off of UTC, not local time. Right now, it is showing 3 for 3, with a rate of 1 per day.

BTW, I'm CopaMAN - a "he." :)

Thanks for all the help!

Whoops, sorry! My bad.

Anyway, I just checked, and it's showing the stat as 20 caches found for a rate of 5 caches/day. That calculation assumes that we're already on day 4, but where I am that hasn't happened yet. It does appear to be using UTC, rather than your local timezone (even though they know what this is through our account settings). Maybe just a lazy programmer?

A wild guess here,

Um, did you even look at where the OP is from? It clearly says on her profile that she is from Minnesota. At the time she posted, it was still very much the 2nd both at her location and in Seattle. Maybe the server uses UTC to calculate the stats. At the time of this post (9:50 PST/17:50 UTC), my stats show a correct calculation (20 finds in 3 days=6.6667 caches/day). I'll check after 4:00 my time when UTC switches to the next day to see if it changes.

i had to admit that i didn't, seen a UK mod reply i figured OP is from UK too :lol:

Edited by t4e