Magellan Explorist 500 LE Trouble

NB axemen

I used the Explorist 500 for many years and the only problem I had was the cable failing. After a while I gve up on buying cables. Now I just take out the SD card and load caches onto it withth ecomputers SD card slot. You may have to do the same thing with the maps. You might try contacting Magellan tec support also, I have not used Window seven with Map Send. The lap top I have with Window 7 is one that I will not use for geocaching. Now I use my old Explorist 500 as a back up to my Explorist 710.

I just got a explorist 500 and my computer won't recognize it when I plug it in??

are the topo maps in the direct route NA software??

No, Direct Route is street detail maps.

I also got mapsend software but nothing seems to really work??

I got windows 7? Is that the problem?

I don't think Direct Route NA worked after Windows XP but I have been able to use MapSend Topo on Windows 7.

ok well all I want is a basic Topo map of my area (Atlantic Canada or even just around Moncton).

where and how do I load such a map??

right now there is just the basic map on my GPS( shos highway basically)

I just want a map that I can see more details.

You have to buy the Topo map CD, then you selcted the area of the map that you want to have on your GPS. I would not recomend a large map. I tried to load most of the wetern US on mine and I slowed down the map refresh speed on my Exl 500. I have most of N cal on mine. But I have a S cal map on the SD card that I can change to when I the LA area.