Definition of Terms

I am the proud owner of the Garmin Montana 650t and just updated to the latest firmware 3.70 and it is awesome. But I have some questions that I need clarification. I read the manual (yeah, like that helps) and read online but still am "in the clouds" as to the difference in different settings and what they mean in reference to what is best to use:

1. Barometer: I assume this is related to the barometers used by meteorologists to determine deteriorating or improving weather conditions. This is pretty clear to me.

2. Elevation: Is this setting to help me determine how high I am above sea level? Or does this setting just tell me how high the ground I'm standing on is in reference to sea level?

3. GPS Elevation: What is the difference to "Elevation" and "GPS Elevation". Which is the one I should use to determine my altitude. Say, for example I'm standing on a hill and I want to know how high I am above sea level...which is the best setting to use?

4. Elevation Above Ground: What is the difference of this selection and the selections of 2 and 3 above? I have this one in my "In the Air" profile for which I want to use when flying...I want to know the actual altitude I will be at when on board an airplane. I noticed on my earlier Garmin Oregon 400t, the actual altitude was reflected on the same screen as the screen that showed the satellite readings (it always matched the information given by the airlines on the "Air Show" screen but the elevation elsewhere on the Oregon showed a different reading. On the Montana, there is NO "Altitude" reading on the satellite page, so which is the one I want to use to determine my actual altitude when flying.

5. What is the difference between "Course" and "Bearing" and which should I use when searching for a Geocache? Right now I use neither one and am doing fine.

Thanks for any input...

Tom

I posting a link to a Garmin page here http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=287604&view=findpost&p=4930040 last week that may be of one help.

This does help a bit, but in laymen terms, which is best setting for the following conditions:

1. Flying on an airplane and wanting to know the current altitude (the Garmin blog/explanation doesn't go into that detail)

2. Wanting to know my current elevation say, for example, when standing on a hill or mountain. The Montana offers "Elevation' and "Elevation above ground".

This is the explanation I'm looking for. Any pilots out there? Thanks for any advice!

I posting a link to a Garmin page here http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=287604&view=findpost&p=4930040 last week that may be of one help.

This does help a bit, but in laymen terms, which is best setting for the following conditions:

1. Flying on an airplane and wanting to know the current altitude (the Garmin blog/explanation doesn't go into that detail)

2. Wanting to know my current elevation say, for example, when standing on a hill or mountain. The Montana offers "Elevation' and "Elevation above ground".

This is the explanation I'm looking for. Any pilots out there? Thanks for any advice!

re elevation:

GPS elevation is determind with calculations from the GPS system, note barometric preasure.

An altimiter make elevation calculations base on barometric preasure-but an alitmeter must be calibrated as the weather changes.

On an aircraft it depends on the plane, on a commercial aircraft the cabin is pressurized to represent about 7,000 feet. So and altimeter will not be acurated. But to get a GPS reading you have to sit by the window and hold your GPS in the window to get a reading. I do this a lot and have never been not to do this by the in cabin flight crew.

I own a hand held altimeter and have compared it to my GPS altitude readings and they have been within 6 feet of each other. I have never seen much use in an altitude reading as far as geocaching. I think it is one of many features that the GPS companies include because it looks good as far as marketing.

it is late here 1:35 am. I to tired to correctr typos, going top bed

one last thing, Elevation vs elevation above ground. Elevation is above sea level which veries with the tied.

Edited by JohnnyVegas