Louisiana Swamps at there best?

ActMoritz

I am headed down to New Orleans end of march for my wife's work convention. So, I will be free to play and cache during the days. I really want to do some swamp caching. I am wanting to see Louisiana swamps at there best like a local not a tourist. (aka lots of alligators, snakes and cypress tree). Thinking about maybe going down old highway 51? Not really wanting to do much of the power trail but it looked like interesting sights. Thanks ActMoritz

Highway 51 (I-55) is just a power trail along an interstate....you're not really going to see a lot of the swamp scenery you're seeking. To really get out into the swamp you'll probably have to take a swamp tour by boat, but that won't lend itself to caching very well.

If you'll be in New Orleans the French Quarter has a lot of great caches. Do yourself a favor and do GCE02C, View Carre'.

Edited by Chief301

Ya GCE02C is on the list. I knew its just a trail but from pictures people have posted in logs looks like you have an good chance to see some alligators. I plan on ding the swamp tour with Cajun Pride Swamp Tours right there at the beginner of 51. Was really just hoping on some remote locations that would be cool for this Missouri hills boy.

On the topic of alligators maybe someone that is familiar with them can answer my question. If you are in the wild with gators around and no place to go except where your feet will take you, how much danger is there in you becoming a meal? The only experience I have had with a gator was when we were in south Texas we seen a gator about 60 or 70 feet off the road and stopped to shoot a picture. All of a sudden it came at us like a run away locomotive and then stopped dead about 20 feet from us. I snapped a quick picture and jumped in the van. I have always wondered what it would have done next if we would have stayed.

On the topic of alligators maybe someone that is familiar with them can answer my question. If you are in the wild with gators around and no place to go except where your feet will take you, how much danger is there in you becoming a meal? The only experience I have had with a gator was when we were in south Texas we seen a gator about 60 or 70 feet off the road and stopped to shoot a picture. All of a sudden it came at us like a run away locomotive and then stopped dead about 20 feet from us. I snapped a quick picture and jumped in the van. I have always wondered what it would have done next if we would have stayed.

Well he must have tired out as they can out run most humans for the first 30 yards in a staight line. They recomend you run a little zig zag pattern to tire them out.

If you want my personal opinion. We have a lot of them in FL, and they extremely dangerous. Just use a lot of caution with them...