Please Help - problems with Pocket Queries

PouserKeith

I'm kind of going insane trying to figure out how to download and save my Pocket Queries results and then of course upload the data to the two GPS units that me and my family are using for Geocaching.

First a little history: I just recently became a Premium Member so that is out of the way. :) Next, we had been using our Garmin Etrex Venture HC for our past Geocaching hunts (before becoming PM) and loading cache coordinates one at a time, which worked OK for us. Then we also picked up a new Garmin Oregon 450 when they were on sale last month because I wanted a GPS unit that allowed for more map memory and paperless caching. So fast forward to last week when I got the Premium Membership for Christmas because I thought that getting Pocket Queries loaded onto our two GPS units in batches would be faster than loading them one at a time into each unit. (we use the two units because we hunt with our son and his friends and having two units with the same cache info keeps everyone interested in the hunt even though only one of our units gives us the detailed info such as the description, past logs, and the "hint".

I understand how to populate the Pocket Query search to get the results that I want, however I can't figure out how to save the information to our computer and/or GPS unit and then more importantly, how to download and save the coords to both of our GPS units in one transaction instead of loading a few pages of results one-at-a-time, then switching the GPS unit to load the same results one-at-a-time.

(edit) - We also have the new MapSource program that we use to load maps onto the units if that is needed information. - (edited)

I feel that I've read the instructions on Geocaching.com website AND I have read through the FAQ's on www.markwell.us, but I still don't know what I need to do to get this thing to work for me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, I can continue to load them (the cache coords) one at a time onto our two GPS unit, but that seems to be a big waste of time.

Keith in WA

Edited by PouserKeith

Once you have the pocket queries downloaded you need to unzip the files. Once they are unzipped plug your gps into your computer. Go to my computer, select the drive that represents your gps, select gpx files they copy and paste the unzipped file to the gpx folder. This is the way I do it. There are other ways but this works easiest for us. In order to remove the files you will need to use your computer and go through the procedures I listed to get to where you put the file on your gps and just delete the query. Hope this helps.

Once you have the pocket queries downloaded you need to unzip the files. Once they are unzipped plug your gps into your computer. Go to my computer, select the drive that represents your gps, select gpx files they copy and paste the unzipped file to the gpx folder. This is the way I do it. There are other ways but this works easiest for us. In order to remove the files you will need to use your computer and go through the procedures I listed to get to where you put the file on your gps and just delete the query. Hope this helps.

While this may work for the Oregon, it will not work with the Venture HC.

For the Venture you load the zip file into Basecamp mapping program and then send the data to the GPS. You can't load both GPSrs at the same time.