Souvenir Question

navy877

Greetings:

I got back from France a couple weeks ago and was surprised I was not awarded a France souvenir.

I found a flickr link with a France Souvenir shown and it says the image is copyrighted by Groundspeak.

So how do I get the image to end up on my souvenir page?

France - Geocaching.com Souvenir

Navy877

There is no souvenir for France.

9.19. Souvenirs

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=272

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264608

Please note the last entry in that thread:

Posted 15 February 2011

Thank you to everyone who has voted in the souvenirs feedback forum! We're going to be taking a bit of a break from regular souvenir releases so that our engineering team can work on some behind the scenes stuff, as well as preparing some cool new features that are heading your way!

You are still able to get any of the presently released geographic souvenirs, so get out there and get caching!

A souvenir for every state in America... But not one for the entire COUNTRY of france?

I mean come on, not to hate on any specific state, but the Eiffel tower is world famous, and more renown than anything in West Virginia or Kansas.

Shouldn't be that hard to come up with something for the souvenir!

A souvenir for every state in America... But not one for the entire COUNTRY of france?

I mean come on, not to hate on any specific state, but the Eiffel tower is world famous, and more renown than anything in West Virginia or Kansas.

Shouldn't be that hard to come up with something for the souvenir!

There are only a handful of country specific souvenirs (which does not include one for the U.S. or Canada). The now-defunct feedback site was used to solicit suggestions for country specific souvenirs and those that received the most votes got souvenirs. France was fairly near the top of the list at the time that Groundspeak put souvenirs on the backburner.

Although it appears from that Flickr page that the artwork has been developed for quite a few other countries/regions (for example, Austrailan States) that's only part of the process of releasing a souvenir. There is some programming/configuration involved that has to take place so that anyone in the future that posts a found it or event attended log at a location within the bounding coordinates of the country/region will receive the souvenir. There is also a time consuming process that has to be executed which checks the logs of *every* user profile to see if there are existing found it/event attended logs which qualify for the award.

Personally, I'd like to see Groundspeak bring souvenirs off the back burner and start awarding them again for new regions/countries but one of the things they're going to have to consider (now that the feedback site is dead) is how they're going to prioritize which countries get them first. I kind of like the idea of *not* putting countries which are the most active at the top of the list. For example, China only has 407 caches in the entire country, whereas Denmark has 20595 caches so if it were just put to a vote Denmark (as well as a *lot* of other countries) would clearly get one before China, but I suspect that if someone had found caches in both countries they'd prefer to get a souvenir from China. I think there's something to be said for collecting souvenirs for places that a lot of geocachers *haven't* visited.

Hi

This is all very interesting. I never realized there is significantly more to it than meets the eye. Thanks to everyone who gave explanations.

They say no question is a dumb question and often if one person asks it means several other are probably wondering the same thing! LOL

Live Long and Prosper

Navy877