Mismatched bug and tracking# s

MrsWaszo

Hi all,

I stumbled upon an odd situation today. Found a travel bug at GC389W8. Grabbed it, and upon coming home to try and log it. Then it got weird. I didn't see the code on back of the coin. It had an accompanying tag in plastic, which I looked up first. Turned this up....

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB2BEEX . It's been missing for several years now. Once I checked that against the number on the back of the coin, they did not match. ( Needed my reading glasses at home to see the itty bitty # on that bugger )

The number on the coin is not even registered here. I'm not sure what to do with it now. Neither # was even shown on the cache page as a trackable being left there......

Any suggestions???

Sue

Hi,

Not being listed in a cache is o.k, people some times drop tbs and coins in a cache with out logging them in it...

Is the coin the one pictured on this link you posted or something totally different?, the owner may have made the coin a TB with out registering the coin... or it just may be over time these move together and are not related . I would contact the owner of the TB2BEEX and see what the TB should be .

if the owner of the TB says thats not part of it, the coin would be yours to keep and register.

If TB owner says that what it should be, you can log the TB as Visiting the cache you found it in and move it like any other TB

Another suggestion is it possible that you may have read the coin number incorrectly, ???

IMHO

/EvilTree

Edited by EvilTree

The coin that you found with the accompanying tag, does that coin say anything on it about "2008 Little Rhody Quahog Geocoin"? If it does say anything like that on there, then my assumption would be that since this coin was not a trackable coin on geocaching.com, the owner attached a tag with a trackable number. How it came to be in the cache, we'll never know, but it's cool that you found an old, lost trackable and it can now move again.

However, if the coin says nothing at all like "2008 Little Rhody Quahog Geocoin" on it and it's a completely unrelated coin, and you're sure you've got the numbers on both the tag and the coin written down right (you know, no zeros where a letter "o" should be - I have a hard time telling the difference on those), then maybe at some point during the lifetime of the 2008 Little Rhody Quahog Geocoin it got lost, it's owner made up this tag and attached it to coin that's untrackable on geocaching.com and sent it out as a replacement. Or maybe the tag got separated from its coin and someone kindly substituted this untrackable coin in its place. Something like that. As EvilTree suggested, I would write the trackable owner and ask them what's supposed to be attached to their tag. And then when I moved the trackable, I'd put something in my log explaining the mystery (assuming you hear back from the owner) so that the next person to grab the trackable knows what's up.

Intriguing mystery!

Hi Evil Tree :)

Thanks for responding,

The coin is exactly the same, except the pic shown doesn't have the rest of the code past RI like the actual coin. The tag with the code shown on their log is a handwritten # wrapped in plastic with it.

I like your idea of contacting the owner, still a newbie here and learning the ropes. I appreciate your helpful suggestion... think that's where I'll run from here.

You guys rock!

Thanks,

Sue