Etrex 20 Memory Map & Garmin Basecamp

Hi all,

here's the question:

I've just got myself a Garmin Etrex 20 after years having a Magellan Meridian Platinum.I've also got Memory Map and Garmin Basecamp. Is there a way of sending custom maps (or portions of maps from Memory Map) to the the Etrex 20? I'm really struggling to find out how to get a better quality map on the gpsr.The one included with it is pants to say the least!

I've also got an Android smartphone with Memory Map viewer software installed on it,but I'm a bit reluctant to take that out on the trail with me as a mapping device....

Thanks for any help

Hi all,

here's the question:

I've just got myself a Garmin Etrex 20 after years having a Magellan Meridian Platinum.I've also got Memory Map and Garmin Basecamp. Is there a way of sending custom maps (or portions of maps from Memory Map) to the the Etrex 20? I'm really struggling to find out how to get a better quality map on the gpsr.The one included with it is pants to say the least!

I've also got an Android smartphone with Memory Map viewer software installed on it,but I'm a bit reluctant to take that out on the trail with me as a mapping device....

Thanks for any help

You may be able to do it through Touratech QV5, you can get it on 25 day trial. :D

Another vote for the TalkyToaster maps from me.

As far as I can tell it is possible to create custom maps from Memory Map files but there are limits to the size of tiles (1mb,1024x1024 I think) and the number of tiles (100). In the end I gave up.

The only other options (I think) are to buy the expensive 1:25k Birdseye maps or the 1:50k Discoverer maps. Apparentaly there are torrents of the 50k maps floating about on the net but I haven't looked into that (yet!)