Offline Logging Caches

RHPS

Hey Everyone,

Im going away on a big trip without internet connection so i am looking for a program where i can download a GPX file and once i have found the cache i can couble click on it write my log and when i get back to the interent just be able to upload them straight to GC.com.

I Have looked at GSAK it does have these functions but are a little tricky to use, as you have to set up a filter to get to the spot where you can write a log for the cache, unless i am missing something?!

I was wondering how you guys log your caches on the road? what program(s) do you use? or how can i get GSAK to work better for me?

Thanks

RHPS

How long will you have to go without an internet connection? I just write a draft in a text file on my laptop since I'm never away from the internet for more than a day, but if you won't have an internet connection for weeks or months you can try an Access database to keep them all organized. Access is great because you can assign photos to caches and keep track of what you've traded.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

GSAK gives you the abilily to download gpx files and keep track of them. I'm still pretty much a novice when it comes down to using GSAK to it's fullest, but the little I know, I love.

With GSAK, you can edit the field notes to write your log, and keep all your trip finds in a filtered datebase. Once connected to the interned, logging should be easy as a mouse click. I haven't had a chance to test this, I'm stuck working in Afghanistan.

I ran into a problem on a 9500 mile roadtrip (long story) and averaged 30 caches and 600 miles each day. By the time I got into the hotel room, it was tough searching for the finds, clicking on each one, waiting on the slow hotel internet to connect me and then write the log. So I started playing around with GSAK and it should make that pain a whole lot better.

Hopefully someone with a little more GSAK experiance can give a more detailed accounting.