Garmin Oregon vs Colorado

Hiker_N

I am looking to upgrade from my etrex venture HC and I see that there are great deals to be had on old colorado's. Like the Oregon, the Colorado does paperless, as well as having a Barometric Altimeter, 3D view and the greatest selling point: a quad-helix antena. This is the main difference I see from the oregon besides the roller wheel vs touch screen and sd card slot vs micro sd slot.

First. The oregon in nice because of the ease of use (touchscreen) but I am a favorite of the quad helix and I wonder about the new ceramic antennas in the oregon. Are they just as great in dense forests and in canyons?

Second: I hear there are some issues with the colorados roller wheel. That they break often and peel off the gps or something like that. Does anyone here have that problem?

The Antenna between the 2 have little to no differences as far as holding a signal lock and accuracy. IMHO the touch screen is the way to go. The Colorado has been discontinued so if you can afford an Oregon then go for it. But if the interface is an issue and you don't want touch screen then have a look at the new eTrex line. They have paperless caching as well. Plus the UI is very similar to what your already use to using the Venture.

Colorado is not a current model but if you can pick one up off ebay then they are great units.

If you like helix antennas then why not look at the 62s? The only thing I don't like about them is the screen resolution.

The paperless feature is really great and the 62s don't have that and I really like beautiful screens.

The Antenna between the 2 have little to no differences as far as holding a signal lock and accuracy. IMHO the touch screen is the way to go. The Colorado has been discontinued so if you can afford an Oregon then go for it. But if the interface is an issue and you don't want touch screen then have a look at the new eTrex line. They have paperless caching as well. Plus the UI is very similar to what your already use to using the Venture.

Thanks mpilchfamily, I didn't realize etrex now does paperless thanks for letting me know I will have to check that out too. Yes price is a big player in my decision I don't have much money to spend. Thats one of the big reasons I am even questioning oregon.

Colorado is not a current model but if you can pick one up off ebay then they are great units.

If you like helix antennas then why not look at the 62s? The only thing I don't like about them is the screen resolution.

The paperless feature is really great and the 62s don't have that and I really like beautiful screens.

The 62 its paperless...just a pants screen!

I've been looking at the Montana 600 which is a but more but looks a great screen.

The 62 its paperless...just a pants screen!

I've been looking at the Montana 600 which is a but more but looks a great screen.

True enough! I didn't know that. but unfortunately I cant afford to part with $350 right now for the 62.

If I find one on ebay that might be an option. Thanks

Edited by Hiker_N

Have a look at the eTrex 20. It may be just what your looking for.

https://buy.garmin.c...D=87771&ra=true

Yeah thats great, they really have improved the etrex line. I had ruled them out because I have an older version. Thats more in my price range but I am not so fond of the fact that it doest have an electronic compass or altimeter or 3D view, I would use those three things allot in my new GPSr.

I LOVE my Oregon 550 with the camera but it was expensive but you can have a 450 for $250 from cabelas on black friday. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285008 Check out this thread for more info. At $250 you can't go wrong and you get a lot of GPS for not much money. As for the Oregon vs the Colorado I do think the Colorado does better in cedar forests than the Oregon but not by that much so I would not buy a discontinued model over the Oregon/Etrex/Dakota line of GPS' If price is the reason for getting an older Colorado you will be very happy with it over your Etrex that you have now. So with money factored in I think it would be between the Oregon 450 on sale and a used Colorado both would be great units an serve you very well. If $250 is not to much wait and get the Oregon over the Colorado if you can get a Colorado for less than $175 than I would go that route. I have owned both and am happy with both of them I just prefer the camera in my 550.

Have a look at the eTrex 20. It may be just what your looking for.

https://buy.garmin.c...D=87771&ra=true

Yeah thats great, they really have improved the etrex line. I had ruled them out because I have an older version. Thats more in my price range but I am not so fond of the fact that it doest have an electronic compass or altimeter or 3D view, I would use those three things allot in my new GPSr.

Those features are what push the price of a unit over $300 and outside the range your looking to spend. In some cases the Electronic compass alone can mean the difference of about $80. As you can see if you compare the eTrex 20 with the eTrex 30.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=87774

Edited by mpilchfamily

I LOVE my Oregon 550 with the camera but it was expensive but you can have a 450 for $250 from cabelas on black friday. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285008 Check out this thread for more info. At $250 you can't go wrong and you get a lot of GPS for not much money. As for the Oregon vs the Colorado I do think the Colorado does better in cedar forests than the Oregon but not by that much so I would not buy a discontinued model over the Oregon/Etrex/Dakota line of GPS' If price is the reason for getting an older Colorado you will be very happy with it over your Etrex that you have now. So with money factored in I think it would be between the Oregon 450 on sale and a used Colorado both would be great units an serve you very well. If $250 is not to much wait and get the Oregon over the Colorado if you can get a Colorado for less than $175 than I would go that route. I have owned both and am happy with both of them I just prefer the camera in my 550.

Ditto for me on the Oregon. I have the 450 and I also own the 62s. But the Oregon is quickly becoming my favourite. I enjoy geocaching and it's touchscreen and ease of use makes the pastime a lot of fun. I know some prefer buttons over the t/screen but, for me, it's great. Just bought one for my wife, too. I only need to convince her that geocaching's a lot of fun. I'm working on it...